TERPENE steam distillation

You on that @theclearscientist @cryocan @straitconcentrates ish boiiiiii

Damn… they all r3ally ouuuuuta here

I hear membranes outta pentane is where it’s at :thinking:

Worth a shot either way

4 Likes

Someones gonna figure out terpene seperation with membranes

5 Likes

Not me. But I’m 100% aware how it’s done and chatted for hours with the homie on this subject now almost 3 years ago

3 Likes

Are we working our way to summoning both to the thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile::joy:

Quick someone shoot the meme

3 Likes

I remain solvent agnostic for a reason.

And when I say “closed loop enthusiast”…I actually mean:

But that’s another story… Let them eat PET!

9 Likes

Happy Monday everyone!! Can’t wait to try everyone terps.

Terps I’m smoking are made with water or butane.

Edit some more: I will add this also. The steam terps I have seem to age like wine. The longer they are sitting. The better and more floral they seem to get. :man_shrugging:t3:

Gonna start storing some like age whiskey

8 Likes

Floral is the right word.

Gas and fruit is hard to capture with water IMO, but it does smell very perfumy. Especially if you take a drop and spread it on a thin surface.

Totally different smell than in the jar

2 Likes

We load 16000lbs of plant mass for each run. Stainless steel column tube condensers, stainless filtering collectors. Then the terpenes are passed through a fine separation filter to remove any particulate or water that remains on the way to the filling station. We decant into glass gallon containers and straight into the nice dark cooler for storage.

9 Likes

Best hemp terps I have tried I purchased from @kenzyme
They smelled ok when I got them but after a month or so the smell got more dank and the little hint of grass smell went away. Cant remember the extraction method. I still have some.

1 Like

Ive got 2 year old steam distilled terps and even @Kinsmanofthesun was wowed when i showed him.
I definitly think steam distilled ages well if done right, i cant say the same thing for hte, it doesnt age the best, usually smells best within a week of completion then kinda slowly goes downhill from there imo

6 Likes

What about heptane as a extraction solvent does that keep the profile sir

The suver from 2018 is ridiculously fire. The Hawaiian from 2019 has become extremely intense. The 2019 lifter and suver are a little better, but not as fruity.

I think the best way to cure them is low headspace in the freezer.

@Killa12345 connor just bought some @Betroit and @terpenescali terps to do a side by side comparison in sugar. We will also be testing against hte. We have 8 varieties of hte and 17 varieties of steam still to compare

17 Likes

I wanna dab some of there terps with sugar.

I’ve kept all the 2018 suver in room temp vac sealed with a mason jar sealer

I can dab distillate and 2018 suver haze steamed terps. I don’t know what terps you all are smoking but that’s a good test. If you can enjoy dabbing on hemp terps with distillate. A. Your hemp terps are on point and B. Your distillate is on point. :joy::rofl::joy::exploding_head:

7 Likes

agreed, you pick up alot of stuff that isn’t terpenes with the steam distillation.
Dry vs wet material is also different. To me fresh flowers steam distilled always smell faintly of the lawn mower bag.

4 Likes

Just “steam” with a hydrocarbon, you will make a better product.

3 Likes

Agreed. Hte starts to get a burnt taste over time. Very frustrating. @Thetetraguy what can’t you do bro!? Terps, oil, flower,CBD retail. The guys a friggin machine!

3 Likes

Lol yeah wet steam distilled smells like the plant when its been hanging for a day, when the grass smell is still apparent but theres definitly terps behind it.
I still think inert gas “steam” would be the bees knees, not co2 but same sorta setup.
@Kinsmanofthesun haha thanks, im truely just trying to learn everything i can do about this plant and my mcgyver skills are A+

7 Likes

It works if you work it :wink:

@terpenescali
Can’t wait to hear about it.

1 Like