Terpene in butane

@Photon_noir has talked about it on here before, but the idea of the wider Mol sieve is about reducing flow so it’s easier for things to be removed from the vapor stream; leveraging bernoulli’s principle.

3 Likes

I’m too stoned for a coherent answer right now

Just keep your basin pressure up during recovery (Henry’s Law)…

Low pressure / vacuum boiling is causing terpenes to co-distill with your solvent (Raoult and Dalton’s Laws).

Staying at a higher pressure will help prevent this. :muscle:

10 Likes

Solves a million problems running under pressure

4 Likes

So what you’re all hinting at is a : Molecular seive that’s the same size as your collection, with a jacket to help the vapors and the capability to have a constant flow of nitrogen to help push the vapors? So we would need to make sure we got a good sub micron filter too then and basically make a terp remediation cartridge for recovery.

Guess someone’s gonna have to build a sieve with cartridges[/spools] loading filter media that are known to trap terps and the sub micron filters and all that jazz and then dial it in.

That’s not what we’re saying at all. We’re all just referencing different ways to keep the terpenes out of your butane and what fluid dynamics(terminology?) laws were considered to make those decisions.

3 Likes

ive always heard that 13x is good for terps, but have no personal experience. some digging came up with this dreddy post:

good for gaseous terps, not so good if there condensing before…

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: :upside_down_face: but that doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t right?

Adding this here

You dont use nitrogen, correct?

1 Like

It means we are saying someone actually shouldn’t, yes. There is zero reason to have such a large vessel in your recovery path. In fact, I’d wager there are problems that could arise from such a large vessel, but mostly just the unnecessary space.

1 Like

What if that was like a vapor path for a ffe?

That would be a huge vapor path, usually a good ffe works in a shell and tube as the goal is actually to increase surface area, so while the vessels look large, they are filled with little tubes.

What are you trying to solve?

Terpenes in your recovered solvent?

Any indication it’s a problem with your setup?

How are you recovering?

1 Like

What if the tubes were modified to hold sieve beads on the vapor side and you had a ridiculously big activated carbon filter with low microns.

Wider is only better for less restricted vapor flow. At a certain point, going wider will be counterproductive because it will reduce residence time in the beads. Ideally you would go taller and as narrow as possible without creating too much friction in the vapor path.

5 Likes

Who’s problem are you trying to solve?

2 Likes

Care to elaborate on this? Seems to my pea brain that reducing flow limits or completely negates Bernoulli’s principle. Fast moving air creates low pressure; no fast air, no low pressure. Am I thinking about this wrong?

2 Likes

Poor choice of terminology on my part.

The flow rate remains the same through the entire system, this is true. What I’m talking about is how you get a reduction in velocity when increasing the diameter of a path in which a flow is contained.

I think he posited that reducing the velocity allows for more interactions to take place between the vapor and the beads. I might be remembering it wrong though.

Which increases the pressure, and intuitively that would suggest to me a better penetration into the zeolite as well.

My brain refuses to wrap around it, but yeah. Velocity and pressure are inversely proportional to each other.

2 Likes