terp shine skewing hydrometer readings?

Testing my terpy etoh and its reading over 200 proof. It was 190-195 before a couple uses. Could terps be concentrated enough to cause that much of a difference? Any easy way to strip Terps out? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

It could.

Any way to get the Terps out via filtration, rotovap, or spd? I don’t want to use it until I get an accurate reading.

did you correct for temps?

the specific gravity absolutely will change with the amount of dissolved solids in the mix

1 Like

temperature also makes a difference in those readings.

see https://www.ttb.gov/foia/gauging_manual_toc.shtml

The hydrometers used are graduated to read the proof of aqueous alcoholic solutions at 60 degrees Fahrenheit; thus, they read, 0 for water, 100 for proof spirits, and 200 for absolute alcohol. Because of temperature-density relationships and the selection of 60 degrees Fahrenheit for reporting proof, the hydrometer readings will be less than the true percent of proof at temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit and greater than the true percent of proof at temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Hence, corrections are necessary for hydrometer readings at temperatures other than 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

they are describing their tooling, but the concept applies universally.

what temp did you take that reading.

4 Likes

76f didnt think the temp could be that big of a factor. Always stays 75-80f in the lab.

Temp of etoh is 29c reading @ 102% minus the 0.33% per degree puts it at 99% or 198 proof. Thanks @cyclopath I still feel the lower density of the Terps are still playinga roll here. Any thoughts on if it’s good enough for use? Have some material to wash today.

1 Like

Terpenes are a naturally occuring cosolvent when they are present in your extraction, and unless you removed them prior to extraction with decarb, which by your post appear to have not, they will be working in your favor. Providing your proof has not indeed dropped, the terpshine should work nicely, and will likely impart some some flavor onto your finished product. Hopefully it’s polluted with more monoterpnes than sesquiterpenes.

What proof did you start out with, and how many extractions over biomass has the ethanol seen? Is it denatured? How wet was the biomass extracted (% moisture content)?

For removal of the terps, distillation and filtration can both work. When redistilling your alcohol, the Terps should be in either the heads or tails fractions. I honestly couldn’t tell you which, as I have never tried, but it was suggested to me before when I had trouble with my still refluxing for too long and only catching monoterpnes. Smelled terrible!

For filtration, I have heard that AC will remove terps well. It is commonly used for vodka filtration to leave it with a “flavorless” flavor.

2 Likes

Started with 200 proof etoh. Used it to wash ~30# of larf/trim at roughly 8% average moisture. I’m aware 190 is ideal, but that’s what I had to do. Taking the Terps out of the equation and correcting for temperature its reading 198 proof.

I just now am able to drop it to 190 proof. I’m just curious if I should based on everything above.

From what you presented, that alcohol should be good to go. I have run 190 proof over 150#+ and not had to reproof. Only worry would be if those are the bad smelling terps. If it smells good, my belief is that everything should work like usual.

1 Like

I’m probably over thinking it all. But since I’m able to now, add distilled water until I get it to 190 proof?

You can, but I think that whether or not you do is dependent on your process. If you feel that your process would work better using 190, go for it. If you are getting good results with the higher proof ethanol, why mess with a good thing? It will eventually drop itself to around 190, and then you just need to keep it there. Maintaining 190 is way easier than 200.

1 Like

Probably because a hydrometer measures density of the liquid and the terpenes present have a different density. 13x zeolite sieve should take the Terps right out.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t add any water to my etoh. It will absorb naturally when you take the cap off.

I just busted open a new 5gal etoh the other day. Previously 30 gallons were used for prior 50# washes, always comes back +195 from the rotovap