Terp Fraction Advice

We were messing around with the extraction and trying to pull different fractions. Through a bit of tweaking we ended up pulling what appears to be a very terpene rich fraction. Below are the COA for Potency and Terp Breakdown. I don’t have a picture handy, but I’ll take one tomorrow and update. It’s started as a very bright yellow, but over the last week has turned more orange. It’s in the freezer and is slushy, but melts quickly at room temp.

Anyone have any advice on where to take it from here? Thanks in advance.

MBX INDUSTRIES TERP001 - Potency.pdf (166.7 KB)

MBX INDUSTRIES TERP001 - Terpenes.pdf (187.7 KB)

1 Like

Why bother going further? Do you have a reason you need to remove the cannabinoids or are you just trying to create a clear isolated terp just because? How do you intend on using it?

This may be an unpopular opinion but I would stop where you are unless you have a specific need for it to be further refined. If you go through the steps to remove the cannabinoids you’re going to not only remove/degrade more of the trace compounds in that process but also lower the shelf life of them going forward. The resins are what weigh down a lot of those precious ultra volatiles and trace chemicals that make it smell so unique. I say leave the cannabinoids, they serve almost as a “carrier” for the lighter stuff that are even stronger than terpenes. Once you get to a sauce consistency I think going any further is going to just make it look better cosmetically but taste a lot worse.

If you add it back to carts and it’s clouding up your oil from water solubles/waxes that’s a different story. Otherwise I don’t see why everyone wants to isolate their terpenes completely from their cannabinoids so badly if they are just going to be added back to cannabinoids in the finished product anyway. Sauce carts are where it’s at

2 Likes

I can teach you how to entirely separate terps from your extracted sauces. Crystal clear terps.

5 Likes

Do it. Smokin a doink on Youtube with the finished product. You’re overdue

3 Likes

Without buying your $40,000 (albeit awesome) piece of tech?

1 Like

It’s not 40k

This is MSRP. Not including discounts.

5 Likes

Maybe it could be useful before cleaning up diamonds or sauce with pentane or another solvent.

Bingo.

So we designed this tech to be able to use sauces and products in single source methodology.

Take your sauce. Harvest your rocks and all…

Take solution. Remove terps cleanly from solute.

Take that and you can now do a chroma and recrash the rest out or go right to distillation.

Basically once sourced material can make everything with one machine. Take those pure terps and mix with your Distillate of the same product. Or you can use hydrocarbons and wash the first crash and use pure terps. There’s some jelly product in the oleoresin sauces that is just non psycoactive material that can be spared and removed at times.

1 Like

I am not saying I don’t believe you sell a machine that’s capable of producing killer terps but I am confused why these terp slangers are showing pics of these high dollar machines that they cannot produce killer terps with when all they have to do is spend under 11k to make these killer terps you speak of. If I was making money slanging terps I would def be interested in your machine. Seems like at $50ml the ROI would be pretty fast. As cheap as carts/distillate are going for wholesale it would make more sense for these guys to produce diamonds and terps instead of distillate and carts.

5 Likes

In the end, I’m just trying to make the product more usable (and marketable) while trying to keep ROI in mind.

It’s no secret that the bottom has dropped out from under most of us. If I can add an hour to my extraction run, pull off a terp fraction, and then clean it up somehow to add a revenue stream, or increase the value of another product then it might be worth doing.

Not sure I’m in a place to spend 11K on product development without some idea of the revenue side of things.

Yea I don’t know. I don’t hype game expensive machines for a turn over. These are high end ultra short path distillers that harvest terps from the material with no issues.

1 Like

It works great.

You’re an asshole (no surprise to you) and you’d sell the panties off a nun for top dollar, but product looks good :smirk:

If there was a steady stream of people actually willing to pay $50 per ML, we would have a better terpene supply chain for sure. Problem is most people are not willing to pay that much so we don’t have as many labs lining up to make them. Not as big of a market as one would think so it’s more limited to the craft enthusiasts like us. We are a drop in the bucket compared to who’s really consuming all the carts.

The dispensaries all either buy cheap terps to maximize margin and focus on doing a bunch of fruity flavors or they take the measures to produce/contract their own. Not like you can really advertise it or anything either, social media is tough on this. So I think a lot of the guys making terps get a solid basis of craft enthusiasts who buy a little of everything (StoneD accounts for 60% of this consumer demographic) but not as many first-time customers that’ll keep paying $50 per ML.

Seeing how many new labs are making posts every day dabbling with making terps gives me hope though. I think a year from now the game will be a lot different. More suppliers will force a lot of innovation and variety and help build more of a market for it. Thats why I try to network with everyone involved in this space.

3 Likes

What kind of yield do you get distilling the BHO terps into clear terps? Just curious of loss before I try it, how much weight did you start and end with? Obviously the clear terps are going to be far more potent and smaller amounts will go much farther.

1 Like

It is more about what you can avoid getting.

You should see approx 99.9+ percent harvesting and extraction of terps from the solution loaded. There is also talk about other types of aromatic parts it pulls, I’ve heard people say it can pull flavanoids and other parts of the aromatics without damaging them. I’m not commenting on that because I haven’t done it but I’ve heard claims about it.

is this clear fraction mostly monoterpene/oids when distilling the terp portion from a C3 THCA crash ? I guess too it has a bit to do with operating parameters as far as how the splits end up in primary condensate and cold traps.

I’d love to see and smell the clear condensate as well as the oil in the flask afterwards. Ive done similar distillations on a less sophisticated (and beautiful) still set and have gotten fractions in cold traps that smelled wildly different than the starting material in boiling flask.

The different smells are just mind-boggling.

For instance, a large vial smells one way, when your spread it thin it smells another way, and when you taste it (not necessarily advisable) its not reminiscent of the smell.

Terps are a mystery

10 Likes