Temp gauge for cls

Has anybody seen a temp gauge like this used on a solvent tank or on a cls system? They use them for brewing but I don’t know what psi they can handle.

What temp would it be reading?

1 Like

Some go down to -20 so I was thinking it might be possible to have one in line to know your solvent is at least -20 when entering the material column. Also thinking about having one on the solvent tank itself. If you had another one on the collection pot you could have an idea of recovery temps as well. Not sure if it’s a safe application for it but it would be cool if it worked.

I would recommend a proper thermocouple. You can stick them anywhere with a compression fitting.

4 Likes

Yeah I just saw them and thought it would be cool to have a fixed gauge and a option for npt without adapters and valves. Some of them like this Ashcroft look like the probe is welded in which would make me think it would just act like a npt plug as long as the probe didn’t have any holes.

My collection pot has a 1/4 npt input for a thermo. Any recommendation?

1/4npt to 1/8th compression

4 Likes

Heh, I meant which thermo not adapter

depends how far it is to reach your solvent.

see: Temp probe for slurry? - #5 by Midnightoil for harbor freight reader (or buy one that takes four probes)

1 Like

I think you need type T for cold :cold_face:

2 Likes

Sorry I would like it for my collection base to see what temperature the heat is at

K-type can read at least as low as -200C, not all readers are programmed with all the data.

eg: https://www.thermometricscorp.com/PDFs/Thermocouple-Charts/Type-K-Thermocouple-Chart-C.pdf gives data al the way down to -260C

@greggoose710 picture(s)? where to do want to measure?
head space temp in receiver aka vapor temp as it’s leaving?

or the pool at the bottom?
or the heat transfer fluid in the jacket?

edit: if you need to get from the lid of your collection base, down into the puddle at the bottom, you’ll need something more like

3 Likes

Its in the bottom of the pool

so what do you have for fittings on the bottom?
because coming from the top looks like the wrong approach…

1 Like

Just a 1/4 npt plug

so what was wrong with the adapter @midsfactory suggested and the first probe I pointed you at?!?

edit: (Q$@(!&)(!@$_)(+!@$#)+)($!)+&(&$!)+@()(+)!@$(&*&(!_$#

here is the appropriate 1k word substitute

I’ll take your word it’s 1/4" FNPT. you could absolutely step that up to 1/2" FNPT and thread an analog thermometer in there.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful tank

1 Like

I didn’t say anything was wrong with the thermo. Was just asking for opinions.

1 Like

yeah, I just wish they listed actual pressure ratings…

1 Like

I extensively pressure tested it over 120psi several times with a variety of fittings, no issue. My system barely ever sees over 30psi running

3 Likes