Table Top Chilling/heating plate

I am from the analytical side of the industry, and have been using frozen metal blocks to keep my propane/butane (diluted in DMA) chilled while handling to prep calibrations and control solutions.

I have had an idea to use a chiller plate to keep a constant temp for my blocks opposed to warming up to room temp. commercial options get pricey fast, so I am thinking to build a small one with liquid coolant lines sandwiched between some insulation/aluminum. Then I can dial it in to keep the DMA as cold as possible, but in liquid form and maintain that temp as I work with the standards.

Looking for input / suggestions / recommendations on a quality chiller/heater . I am thinking a 1L - 5L coolant capacity is plenty for my use. Ideally -30C - 50C range

Thank you in advance

The issue in my mind would be the constant condensation you will build up form moisture in atmosphere. How long do you need to keep the block cold?

Something like this would work though.

3 Likes

I have an ice cream table, originally used for rolled ice cream that maintains -30c. It has like a 20" ×40" work surface, but is not c1d1 rated. And yes, condensation and ice are an issue.

1 Like

I have to deal with condensation buildup with the metal blocks i currently use as I keep them in a -80C freezer. Those small AS vials get completely frozen inside and its a pain in the ass to remove

I have a small glovebox I was thinking about putting this chiller plate in with whatever cheap inert gas (CO2, N2), but Id be open to other ideas.

1 Like