System Leak Test

I think these are the secret to the @TheWillBilly diamond SOP…

3 Likes

It depends on the type of system we’re talking about. A pressure decay test is sufficiency for hydrocarbon systems. I usually do a 24-hour hold at 1.5x max operating pressure (as dictated by ASME B31.3) but if we’re talking vacuum pressure test, you really need a leak detector…
But those things are super pricey.

5 Likes

So, if i do a pressure vacuum test for 24 hrs at minus 30 hg, and there is no gain whatsoever. Will that suffice to enable me to run a batch without worries?

BTW, i did this test with the single pin clamps, just out of curiosity. I already have the HP ones.

Cool.

You should pressurize to 100psi for 24 hours minimum. Pressure will show leaks vacuum won’t show.

4 Likes

Not vacuum test, pressure test. 100psi is a good place fo start if you’re running pure n-butane

5 Likes

I got a guy selling me a nitrogen tank, i figured i could use for both things, testing and pushing…

I figured.

ok ok got it, yeah, i am not doing anything yet until i feel safe, will be going to a tire repair shop and pressurise the system with nitrogen over there and see what then!

1 Like

Reawrap with what?

I’m no chemist… but typically you would wrap a threaded connection with ptfe tape buddy

yes, if they are tapered threads like NPT or FNPT.

On the extreme end of leak testing is testing with helium with high speed centrifugal helium sniffers ($80k to start). All specifications on leak testing i have ever dealt with on a professional level have a minimum level of leakage. There is no such thing as something that is totally leak proof. Even a block of steel is porous on some level.

I have a large collection- to test it I fill it almost up with water so I dont waste nitrogen filling it. But in reality all my leaks happen after its all cold

For the hydrostatic test can you just will with water then pressurize or must a pressure washer be used to fill the unit?

Fill from an air compressor and submerge in water

1 Like

Nitro test and spray leak detector vacumm test for intial build .
I like to use a gas sensor the check connections randomly mayb couple times a week .

Maybe 1 to 2 months wrench fittings that arent commonly wrrenched on?