System Leak Test

how cold is your condenser? that really dictates pressure.

Was that with tri clamp connections on the cylinder or just testing what type of steel?

1 Like

Even at 100F propane is around 170psi I still feel 500 is high, yes all other connections assuming high quality compression, or NPT steel or stainless steel fittings, jic fittings, but verify your hose’s ratings along with valves!! Most cheap valves aren’t worth their weight in gold. But tri clamp connections 6in and larger with high pressure connections are not safe above 300psi!! Idk if you guys have ever seen what even a 150psi bust looks like… air cannons can be sketchy business…

1 Like

No leaks are acceptable. Visual inspection of all joints prior to extraction, proper torque wrenches to ensure even tightening to manufacturer spec, and a portable hydrocarbon sniffer run over the system are SOP for my clients.

10 Likes

5# drop in 5 minutes on vacuum systems is my max leak rate before i start fussing. testing as needed based on system observations. On pressurized systems I apply the same method and limits with the additional caveat of no visible leakage.

Edit: The reason why I’ll accept 5 psi/ 5 mins is because it’s based on valve leakby and not leakage out of the system.

1 Like

@Intergalactic Not tri-clamps, but bolts torqued to specified values.

I am not seeing how you would be able to distinguish between a leak at your valve versus a leak in your pressure vessel to atmosphere using this acceptance criteria. For example, suppose your valve is not leaking but you still get a 5 psi drop, not sure you would catch this.

You are doing this while you extract or are you charging your system with hydrocarbons just for testing?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Test pressure gauges upstream of isolation. I’ve done it for highly regulated systems under joint military and civilian control. Depends on your system.

1 Like

It really depends on the amount of use/abuse the equipment goes through. Recommend pressure testing to 150psi the first time but it depends on if you have sight glasses that are rated to that pressure and the clamp pressure rating as well. I would pressure test at least monthly but that all depends on how often the machine is being used. I think every 200 operating hours is reasonable. And ideally try to pressure test with hydro-static pressure so you can avoid accidents, but most are pressure testing with air or nitrogen. Water submersion test is the best way to find leaks quickly for small parts.

3 Likes

Both. Pressure testing with nitrogen 10psi below PRV and then PRV relief test at one week intervals. And then during EVERY run.

3 Likes

SUMMARY OF THREAD: Thread contributors are doing two types of tests. One is a hydrostatic test at high pressure used to stress the system and ensure it can hold at the limits of pressure, with a secondary benefit of finding leaks. The other is testing for leaks using nitrogen, hydrocarbons or air at pressures from 100-150psi or 10 psi under the PRV. There is an emphasis on doing tests at higher pressures which makes the pressure decay method of finding leaks easier. Everyone looks for the leaks by sniffing, submersion in water or soapy liquids. Nobody has stated these tests are being regulated other than by SOP. Most perform tests prior to runs/daily, at an hourly interval and at system commissioning.

10 Likes

Thanks everyone for this thread. Very useful indeed.

Read.

Should you really call any leak acceptable though?

6 Likes

Depends

7 Likes

Wtf is this even supposed to mean…

I don’t get it.

3 Likes

No…at least imo

3 Likes

Took me a sec to realize it’s a diaper

3 Likes

Ah, it’s a diaper…

This cat can shit himself without worry! Lmao