Synthetic cannabinoid plastics or am I just trippin?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed strange plastic like material precipitating out of post-synthesis water wash workup? I have done many research runs of delta-8 synthesis from CBD isolate in non-polar solvents. Typically I neutralize the reaction in sodium bicarbonate and do repeated bicarbonate and distilled water washes. I have noticed that after this process there is often leftover small pieces of what look like plastic fingernail clippings in the sep funnel. I thought that maybe the solvent or acids had somehow eaten away or fragmented the teflon stirbars or sep funnel stopcock, but I don’t think thats it. It almost seems like it is a product that precipitates out while doing the washes. It certainly looks like PTFE fragments. Has anyone else observed this? Am I just going mad? Are these some kind of cannabinoid polymer being created? Take a look at the picture for what I am talking about.

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t smoke it

1 Like

I have never bought, sold, or smoked a delta-8 product in my life. Currently getting a preparative chromatography lab going so that I can finally make something that is safe to consume.

3 Likes

weigh the stir bars before/after running the reaction?

Plastic smell/taste is one of the more common complaints on reddit, I’m definitely curious

2 Likes

Varnish?

Or I should say that’s what the results are from vaping d8…

We had stuff like that come out of our wiper, but turned out to be packing from the receiver jar pump body. That’s certainly interesting what you’ve got there.

1 Like