Switching to passive

Switching from active to passive on an x10 CLS. What would I be doing differently in my SOP besides not using the pump? I know I’d be using pressure differences to move solvent but am wondering what valves I’d be closing to recover?

Replace the pump with your condenser of choice. There’s been a few threads on this if you need more clarification. Search the title of your thread.

3 Likes

I have a condenser coil going from pump to solvent tank do I need an injection one as well

I’d recommend using one if you’re not chilling the tank. You can use the same coil for injection, if you don’t need to recover simultaneously.

Are you currently chilling your solvent prior to injection? All depends on the quality you’re trying to produce.

1 Like

I have my chiller at -50.0c and I inject solvent straight into material column then push through crc and into collection

1 Like

Packing your recovery tank in dry ice will work much better than using a condensing coil before the tank for passive.

My recovery tank is jacketed

3 Likes

Skip the condensing coil then🤙

1 Like

I also use nitro so with how I have my set up running I shouldn’t haven’t to change anything besides not running the pump?

A picture makes that question much easier to answer, but you’ll need to remove the pump from the system, not just “not run it”

1 Like

Disregard all the other pictures accidentally selected them lol

There we go not the best one but I’m not at the lab right now I inject then push into crc and into collection and recover through a condensed coil packed with dry ice back to recovery using a GC 500

I’d take the pump and the coil out. The coil packed in DI would be colder than your recovery tank.

1 Like

Take the recovery pump away. Keep your tank chilled, get a Venturi pump so you can vac it down safely once it’s “empty” (I mean I have done it with a regular vac pump, but not reccomended). If you vac it down and your butane is chilled/condensed with a coil before entering your recovery tank it will stay at vac the entire time. Can rip through recovery like this. The solvent tank pulling vac helps a lot ime.

8 Likes

Yes, remove the pump from the system. Your vapor path from your collection should lead to your mol sieve, which should then lead to your condenser, and then to the tank.

You can remove the coil if you’d like, but it’s going to slow you down a bit. To eliminate solvent pooling in the coil at the end of recovery, remove the coil from dry ice and let it warm up, or just clear it with nitrogen.

5 Likes

Awesome I’m gonna try it out tomorrow. Appreciate it!

1 Like

Most systems are not large enough to hold the entire runs gas ratio. So if you don’t have the space to fit all the gas in your loop, your going to want another solvent tank. It’s a PITA to inject and recover in the same tank if you are using gas assist.

9 Likes

Just keep everything cool and you’ll be good. Use a good amount of alcohol if you’re submerging your recovery/injection coils submerged all the way. And your solvent tanks as well.

Solvent/dry ice slurries help alot. Acetone was my favorite.