Swagelok valve question

hey guys just ordered some swagelok valves, i got the ss-45s8 there a 1/2 inch compression ball valve with a cv of 12. i figured this should speed up recovery greatly, but after talking to cal at bzb i realized they have gone for a plug valve such as SS-8P6T-BK but seeing as the cv value is less than half the size as the 45 series i opted to size up as i got a good deal on them, just wanted to ask if anyone sees any flaw in that or has any insight they could share. going to be keeping 3/8 valves with a cv of 1.5 for injection then coming out bottom of material to crc manifold will all be 1/2 inch onwards. any opinions are appreciated :pray:

@Soxhlet did he get a valve w the right guts

See @Jus2eze thats what u need to look at…what the seals made of , did it come w lube or no?

As long as you’re not going too low on your temp. If so, you want to look at the “T” series or at least a “G” series. T will handle down to -65. G will be good for -45

4 Likes

thanks @StoneD ive looked and they are both fine to use with hydrocarbons with the guts they have the ss-45s8 has ptfe internal packing, i realized tho that i may have messed up as the ptfe is rated at having a 50-150f operating temp, and seeing as im running at sub zero temps id imagine these valves will leak, the ones i mistook them for are the ss-45ts8
which have a live loaded pfa packing. on top of that i realize im going to need a swage plug valve for the recovery valve as the 40 -40g series aren’t meant to be throttled whatsoever, however those have a cv of 4.4 so im now thinking the 12 cv 45series is overkill.

1 Like

just missed your reply as i was typing thank you. could one assume that the regular 45 series would operate at low temps and just need frequent tightening or is that an absolute no go if im running very cold ?

1 Like

The ss-45s8 is ok for recovery but not for running cold solvent

1 Like

The 1/2” swagelok plug valves I had leaked badly at -50C. There was no (apparent?) way to adjust the packing, so those valves now just hold vac in my jackets (not sure they do that well either).

I’ll post the part number. Don’t recommend them (willing to be corrected).

Edit: or not :point_up:

yea that was the conclusion i came to aswell as those only have a -10 rating

thank you cyclo, those will only be used for recovery, i was originally going for the ss-43gs8 but noticed the cv is ridiculously low at 1.1 so figured i should size up to the ss-45ts8 at a 12 cv

I’ve been using superlok valves lately and liking them, larger cv

1 Like

Im pretty sure 45s8 valves are actually rated to as low as+ 50f. Not ideal for cold extraction. Use rthe 3 piece valves for cold. Im no saying they wont work but their engineers rated them that for a reason. I made a mistake of buying valves on the cv and I would up with ones not rated for cold I how I know those valves. In the compact series only the 1/4 inch are cold rated to -65 Even then not the high cv version. I use mine on the crc bypass so they are unlikely to even be used and if so its not as cold on that end.

hows the price tag on those compare?

these actually shouldnt be used for recovery due to the straight on and off position, forward flow throttling is a no go with these, thats why ill be going with the plug valves for vapor lines

I don’t throttle recovery, so they work for me. Is a plug valve the same as a needle valve? I would think it would be hard to find a high cv plug valve, but I’ve never really looked. Let us know what you decide to go with :call_me_hand:

damn you must have alot of headspace in your collection, theyre abit different as far as ive been able to find out, the plugs your able to throttle but not its purpose entirely where as the needle valves imo are more designed for metering say if you have an exact gpm rate you want to keep consistent afaik, originally i thought a needle valve would be required for recovery but since im only throttling for a short duration i think the plugs will be better. defiantly checking out the superloks tho as they’re 1/2 inch comp ball valves have a cv of 6.4 i believe and plug are 4.4 same as swage

also seems most needle valves have a very low cv such as on the superlok 1/2 inch comp series theyre only rockin a 1.8 cv