Sulfur in extracts

https://instagram.com/p/B3nUDLDhwvM/

2 Likes

You should probably use copper silicate in a chromatography style column, should remove all the sulfur.

5 Likes

Also US patent 6743405B1 is worth reading

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “chops”, but if they are chunks, they should be fine to clean with citric acid.

1 Like

Regardless of what you use, I would avoid keeping it in the distillation flask or any super hot process, since it will likely cause reactions of the cannabinoids, @midsfactory!

4 Likes

I was wondering, could one use 10a sieve beads inline in a closed loop system to remediate sulphur out of the Bho? Currently we use them in our molecular sieve to dehydrate the gas. I was told it’s good for mercaptans and sulphur from the gas during vapor phase would it always work during the liquid phase? Hoping to pick your brain.

Couldnt you use copper scrubbies inline to remediate?

3 Likes

My experience with using copper to remove sulphur was dissolved in etho and it took some time for it to all come out. Depending on how badly it’s contaminated it might work, are you trying to add a inline extra sieve with 10x beads in hopes of it removing the sulphur?

1 Like

We already do use copper inline and it works. The 10a beads are used in the gas industry to clean up sulfides and mercaptans from the vapor I’m curious if they can be used inline during the liquid phase as safety measure to ensure nothing is making it into the final product. Just looking for ways to improve remediation of all the crap that can be out there in the industry nowadays. One can never be to cautious when trying to make a clean product.

1 Like

I use to inject my gas into the distilling pot thru 13x and 3&4a beads as an extra step and a way to clean the dust off them as much as possible.

2 Likes

Main thing to consider is the pore sizes of the X 10 it differs by manufacturer
But should be possible to use
X13 might be an option as well
When using scrubbiest make sure to do an acid wash on them before use and rinse them with a solvent of choice (acetone I use)
Dry under vacuum to avoid oxidation layer creation

4 Likes

I would just try it if I were you. Copper works especially well in liquid phase, although it can be slow, but zeolites should be faster. The only thing I’d worry about is removing small molecules of good stuff like terps, ketones, esters and other good odor/flavor compounds.

5 Likes

Use nano copper particles and sonicate under vacuum, distill.

3 Likes

strains with more sulfur compounds generally have a more pungent, and skunky aroma.

Yeah, folks came here looking to get the weed out of their weed…

1 Like