Suggestions on how to increase crumble/honeycomb yields

Hi everyone,

We are currently working on refining our crumble process, and I was hoping someone could offer some insight on how to increase our yields. We are currently using the “whip” method after letting the extract purge as shatter for 24 hours (we pour the slab, put it under vac for 24 hours, then whip it on a hot plate in a pyrex dish for about 20-25 mins or until a golden amber color). After whipping, we throw it in the vac oven at 100*, and put it under vac around 25-26inHg. If it starts to look like shatter after 45-60 mins, we pull it out and try the taffy method. Usually one of these two methods works for us. However, our yields from post roto mass to crumble mass are usually 60-65%. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase this yield/minimize loss? Or is this normal?

Thank you in advance!

Are you using ethanol? I whip right outta the collection pot, put in oven at 85ish and its usually done and scrapable with in an hour or so. Im not using ethanol

1 Like

We are using ethanol. Our extract is definitely not whipable until we run it through the roto for about an hour.

Your loss is gonna be the etho thats left in the oil when you take it out of the roto would be my guess. Just log how much etho you start with and how much you have after the roto and see what the difference is

4 Likes

After the pull n stretch method , do you let it sit in oven for a little while before hitting the vac or do you go straight from taffy tech to pulling on it with vac?

Pull vac immediately

1 Like

And that’s to the 25-26 mark you referred to in the whip tech? Appreciate your quick response :pray:

I’ve managed to get good looking crumble twice… all other times it just goes right back to shatter or turns to wax. Can’t seem to narrow down a repeatable or semi repeatable tech yet. I know each strain is a little different but even same strain yields different results past couple times.

Curious, have you ever used the same extract through separate processing batches (same process) in a controlled environment and yielded a consistent result?

May help you determine if it is the process, extract, or input material giving you the issue. :man_shrugging:

Same input shatter , same method of whipping yielded two different results. Small variables may have been different like temps and time sitting in oven before vac etc…

Sorry for the late reply, and that you’re having inconsistent results. When we were getting shatter or auto butter it was usually due to poor input material. I’ve always whipped for the 20 mins or so, then pulled vac straight to that point. It should start to “muffin” immediately. If not, you’re better off pulling it out and trying the taffy method or you’re likely going to get a shatter - crumble hybrid.

Editing, because I realized you said you do the taffy method already. I never got as great looking crumble this way. However, this is how I was originally taught so it does work. Try the whipping method and see how it goes! If it’s not good go back to the taffy. Good luck!