Suggestions on chilling fully jacketed base cls

Hey everybody,

I’m looking suggestions on chilling these new setups I picked up recently. So I got a steal on two 12x12 fully jacketed splatter platters/bases with hemi lids, sight glasses, etc. 4 semi jacketed 4x24 dewaxing tubes. Ball valves with hemi reducers between lids and tubes with filter plates. Identical units.

I had been running a standard 10” x 10” base/splatter platter, cooling the base with a dry ice slurry while freezing the semi jacketed tubes with just dry ice and recovering in a warm water bath. I got a crazy good deal on these new set ups with full jackets, and I love the idea of running them round robin style where I load and extract in one, then, during recovery, blast the other and so on. I have a 60 gal reservoir with 1500w barrel heater on a thermostat already set up and running, plumbed for the bases and ready to go, holding steady at 90°F for recovery.

But for chilling the bases I’m at an impasse…

I have a VWR 1160s recirc chiller that I use with my buchi rotovap but I believe that is only rated for -10°C. Now, would it be practical to chill a fully jacketed base in a dry ice slurry? I have brass barbed fittings on the bases and use black tubing to circulate the water. Not sure how effective the dry ice will be given the vacant space inside the base and platter for the liquid. Or should I just chill the tubes and the solvent tank and push the butane through the tubes with nitro? I bought regulator and a bottle of nitrogen already but have gotten mixed opinions on using it. My caps have Ts with nai lock valves so I can vent the n2 outside.

Suggestion on this new setup would be great. I want to start running this week but want to do it without any hiccups or unforeseen variables.

Basically, if you guys had this setup, how would you run it and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

:pray:t3:

3 Likes

In an ideal world you want those cold to start, then warm once you get all your solvent out of your columns.

I used a couple of 3 way valves and HC-50 so I could swap between a heater and a chiller.

I’d suggest 2kw at -40C if you can afford it. A DSLB 30/80 might work (spitballing). There are a bunch of chiller threads, and you might be find the cryodax specs in a spread sheet if you spend some time looking.

That would make more sense if your tubes were jacketed rather than sleeved…

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I do have four 3x48 fully jacketed tubes that came with the package as well. Along with 1 3x48 unjacketed tube and 1 sleeved 3x18 tube. I’ll look into what you’ve suggested and see what’s feasible.

1 Like