Sub Critical CO2 Terps - Vitalis R200

Lower pressure? Lower temperature?

1 Like

Those from thc cannabis, or CBD hemp?

1 Like

Higher temp and pressure than what you posted. Also depends on flow rate which is determined, in part, by orifice size (on an Apeks)

1 Like

25 um *** my apologies!

2 Likes

Those are from cannabis THC

These are from hemp CBD

2 Likes

Higher temp and pressure? What was your co2 density?

1 Like

I would think lower temperatures might avoid some wax pull. Anyone ever tried having the liquid super low temps?

1 Like

We ran the R200 as cold as possible without it creating dry ice in the cyclone. I was told by Jon Aaron B that a little etoh in the bottom of the cyclone will act as a thermal fluid, allowing heat transfer from the jacket across the bottom plate, preventing that issue and allowing lower temps.

Not sure how one would prevent the terps from mixing with the etoh though

2 Likes

John B knows what’s up.

If your collection vessel is hot enough you should be able to negate any cold. Not sure how flexible those machines are, but the dry ice will only form when it’s cold enough conditions. Could also run a heater on your lines from your product to separation tube to deal with the heat transfer there as well.

Not sure how comfortable you/they are on tricking out their $$$$$ machines, but it’s certainly a fixable problem.

5 Likes

For terp runs you have to crank the flow down and keep the pressure below 600psi or you will pull waxes.

If you cycle the accumulators with the condensers running you can get the Co2 down to 0f. That’s the easy part, getting the vessels cold is a little trickier. I prefer to fill the vessels with gas to 170psi and then pump liquid to 300psi and then vent. This creates dry ice which cools the extraction vessel’s so when you fill the vessels with the 0f liquid it will still be below freezing by the time it reaches the top of the vessel.

I only run dual vessels so we soak a while filling b which works out to about 10 minutes for a fill/soak. We repeat the swap from a to b for 30 minutes and then bottom drain (3,4,5 and 6 closed with 2,7, and 8 open)

The Terps are much easier to pull at low temps than the cannabinoids. As soon as I see temps in the 60’s in the cyclones I start my terp pulls.

13 Likes

You got any time to come out to NC and walk me through this?

2 Likes

42-45 lb/ft3

1 Like

Sure thing, I am not sure what your schedule is like but I have a few open days before the end of the year.

Here are some Honey Banana terps from today’s pull. We pulled 450ml’s of golden terp juice from 44lbs of flower on a hour cycle for both extraction vessels.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Interesting point if conversation: a couple of people have said (including Mamata Mukhopadhyay) that for any given density, higher temp extraction has better yield/time up to the point of thermal degradation. For a well purged system, that should be above critical temp i.e. a high pressure gas extraction. Which make sense given the other inert gas terp stripping methods. Discuss?

4 Likes

I’m confused. Are these the parameters that you run for terps or…?

These are pretty close to what we run. Slightly lower temp and pressure, but not by much.

I prefer extracted terps using a liquid solvent over a condensed terp from a hot gas terp strip.

From my experience the stripped terps look nice but don’t taste like the biomass they came from. The extracted terps have all of the flavor and subtle variations of a cured flower.

Also hot gas strips pull alot of water which definitely pull some of the hydrophilic terpenes into the water fraction.

3 Likes

No, I used to run a Apeks and that was the terp strip density I shot for.

Outside of a Apeks system I run as low and cold as possible to extract terpenes. Sub 600psi and below 38f gives me the best quality terpenes with very small amounts of non-target compounds.

5 Likes

Absolutely you can, lowering your pressure and having some great input material (fresh, handling to a minimal [preserving the trichomes] ) and just “scrapping” the surface of the plant, you will see some amazing terps.

Ive never run Co2 so excuse the noob question.

Can you run hydrocarbons thru a co2 setup? Maybe u could use co2 to fraction off (most of) the terps first and then do a hydrocarbon (propane?) flood to extract the cannabinoids and leave the fats, color etc in the biomass?

1 Like