Sub $500 Vac Pumps

Been looking at JB and Zoro brands as alternative to AI EasyVac 7cfm currently in use. Thing eats pump-oil like candy, so here I go window shopping; The JB DV-200N vs. Zoro 15800 is what I’ve been researching. Anyone have experience with either of these?

What brand vac-pump do you use, for what size and number of vac-ovens?

I have a bunch of those DV-200Ns but they’re strictly for servicing refrigeration equipment. Brand new they will pull down to the neighborhood of a couple micron but they get worn out pretty quick and the make a shitload of oil mist

Good to know. I was thinking of putting a mist exhaust on top of it to remedy the excessive smoke.

1 Like

There are some low cost diaphragm pumps that are killer.

1 Like

List em @headstashhemp cmon we wanna know!

2 Likes

@headstashhemp yes please share your A-list of economical yet reliable diaphragm pumps as I’ve been wondering the same. So many choices out there…

2 Likes

Welch 2052b is A+++ I wish I still had mine

7 Likes

Are you using the vac pump strictly with your vac ovens? Using for Bho slabs, or decarbing oil? Lots of options depending on intended use

1 Like

I’m primarily using these pumps for vaccing slabs in ovens, and one to vac my CRC while changing filter media. I’ve got an army of Pittsburgh and AI pumps I’d like to upgrade. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Got a cold trap hooked-up inline?

I’ll take a stab at it.

Pumps depend on your application so after listening to yours I hear the following.

You need a dry pump thats quick and deep for your CRC column. That can absolutly be performed with any old HVAC pump, like the JB or the Zoro. I have used Robinair and CPS in the past. It’s which every one is on. sale or deeply discounted at the time you spend. I only use 0.9 cu ft ovens, so the speed of pumping is not needed. So 4-6 CPM are ok. If you are using those 7 cu Ft ovens you may want more CFM. But for your column, 4-6 cfm HVAC pumps are fine.

Where you might not want to use them is where you keep them on for long periods of time, overnight and such under deep vacuums. You might loses some oil mist back into the ovens, as these pumps are quite designed to do that. They are good for pumping down ovens to full vac briefly before closing the valves and shutting down the pumps.

These pumps usaully operate in the 150 to 1500 micron range.

It seems like you said you are running through pump oil? Like losing pump oil into the mist? Or it filling up with solvent and terpenes? No new oil pump will solve that problem. Terpenes and solvents when combined with the pump oil will destroy seals and bearings of cheap oil pumps.

If you are frustrated with your oven pumps filling with solvents and terpenes you may consider a diaphram pump, some suggsted a Welch 2052 which are very durable, have sizable diaphrams and are quite robust unless you drag resin into them and let it dry,. These will again pump down to 1500 micron. The expense on diaphram pumps is the ultimate vacuum and speed (CFM).

For diaphram pumps I recommend use with solvent workflows like rotary evaporation and vacuum filtration. The diaphrams like to be lubricated by the solvents they pump down and don’t have oil to contaiminate so they may work better with your ovens if there’s lots of terpenes and solvents being evacuated.

The diaphram pumps will go down to a specific micron and then become silent as thier diphrams will remain stuck, and every once in a while when the vacuum rises and they briefly activate. This can be better in a lab setting noise wise.

2 Likes

Just run Edwards E230 on every process no holds barred no reason to cheap out this is hempin after all we’re growing money trees my man

3 Likes

I’m soooooo tired of dirty, wet pumps. Bought me a purdy new scroll today. Gonna go back to turbo city with her, I miss it. Diffusion sue, and eddy e2m28 be going to the service center section of town, then the shelf. I’m done fucking with oil pumps.

5 Likes

Thanks for these suggestions. Got a brand new Bhogart 12cfm for $300 yesterday with mist filter and 19 Pump Oil to mitigate my oven room haze problem. It runs way quieter and pulls deep vac quickly on my three 1.9cf ovens.

Why is quieter a problem? Put a 3 way valve in line and let some n2 or air into your stream to throttle the vac.

I run Robin air pumps. change the vac oil after every distillation and they last.

What about LH-85?

60L /min, the size is 315135210,0.085Mpa