Strongest Ethanol to Bud Ratio for basic Tincture?

New to the forums, a glass blower buddy of mine told me I should look here for an answer to my question.

I am reworking my gummy recipe, anyone have an idea of what is the best flower to ethanol ratio to get it as strong as possible? Not that it matters, but I am using 195 proof organic cane ethanol from Extractohol. Normally I just wash my RSO off with ethanol while the pressure cooker is still warm (ran at 170-200) but I mix strains in my RSO and am trying to do strain specific extractions for a few prototype batches of gummies.

I’ll take a tek, basic numbers, whatever you got!

Thanks amigos.

Search bar will get you far.

Anywhere from 2 gal/lb to 0.5gal/lb pending on a whole bunch of variables that other people have delved into at length.

3 Likes

Thanks. I used the search bar but I will do a more in depth search. I kept finding etoh extractions for smokeable concentrate not edible.

Just look up bucket tek. Forget the warm extraction it’s full of impurities

2 Likes

you arent quite asking the right question(s)

theres a few points:

1. solubility of thc in ethanol
  2. “penetrating power” of ethanol on a whole bud

and then the whole “strong as possible part”
if thats really all you are after, why not reduce your solvent after the fact? you could extract with 100 gallons for all anyone cares, as long as you reduce your solvent (you should be anyway for formulation) youll have the same amount of thc in the end. “strength” doesnt apply to your amount of solvent (again unless you arent removing it all) it relates to your input crude material FOR extraction, not the solvent being used. (assuming complete extraction ofc)

feel free to hit the dm

4 Likes

What @YeahBet said…

You’re not actually asking the question correctly…

If you’re just doing this in a jar, you need about 1gal of ethanol to cover a 1b of bud.

You can then make that tincture “stronger” by evaporAting it. All the way to dryness should you want to.

You could also use the same tincture to extract another 3lbs ( one at a time, you have read bucket Tek?)…

That would make your initial tincture 4x stronger.

What makes your gummies more potent is how much of that tincture you decide to use.

Use one lb weed, and 1000gal ethanol. Evap to dryness, and low your result would be as potent as 1lb into 1gal and evap.

You should 1) know the potency of your weed. 2) do some damn math.

Let’s say your starting with 10g of high test at 25% thc

Doesn’t matter how much solvent you use, you’ll get 0.25 x 10g = 2500mg (2.5g) of thc.

If you make 100 gummies, they will be 25mg a piece.

Want 5mg or 100mg? Adjust the math…

Edit: unless you’re the only one eating these, not doing the math first makes you irresponsible imo…

There is zero excuse for edibles of unknown potency…and making people sick sucks

2 Likes

I am low on ethanol, It looks like I have about 800ml left over from my last gallon. All the herb I’m using is tested. Gotta make a test batch of gummies.

So the 1gal etoh to 1lb ganja ratio is the minimum ratio I should use for this extraction?

edit: and I can just make my ethanol stronger and stronger and stronger by extracting plant material? At what point is the alcohol saturated? Bout to finish some watering and then I will do an in depth search.

So wait with that logic, my tek of washing buds with a hydrocarbon run that’s been ethanol washed (pre winterized) then could actually produce a stronger concentrate? The times I’ve done this tek, it has always been higher in terps than just regular ethanol-winterized hydrocarbon extracts and just regular bucket tek. So… Maybe this confirms a bit of a heightening.

Referring to -Restored op- groovy shatter tek

Stronger tincture does not = stronger concentrate once the solvent is removed…

Just more concentrate.

At least to a first approximation. There is certainly some wiggle room around relative solubilities of target vs non-target that might get you a slightly more potent (or less potent) concentrate when pushing the solvent closer to its carrying capacity.

2 Likes

To a point. if you don’t have a centrifuge to remove the tincture from the cannabis by turning up gravity 1000x, you loose a fair amount of solvent (tincture! ie cannabinoids) to each (successive) batch of biomass.

ignoring those losses for the moment, the amount of cannabis you can extract with a given amount of solvent (not actually it’s saturation point, but the point where you decide it’s not worth it to leave so much behind) varies widely with temperature.

I’ve heard tell of 10x more at rm temp than at -40C. haven’t gotten to confirm yet.

at -50C I was getting essentially the same efficiency at 1lb/gal as 3lb/gal. that’s with CBD biomass at 10-12%. knowing how far I could push that without loosing extraction efficiency (or optimizing where i wanted the cutoff to be) would require analytics not currently onsite.

playing with different material at the moment.
starting a 1lb/litre and working my way up.

3 Likes

you gonna post results here?? Super cool and interested as hell in these findings

Yes got sidetracked. Had to remove a bad manager and clean up the mess. Will be doing that in a month or two.