Strange peak after thca

Seeing a very interesting peak on this graph. Any thoughts on what it could be?

2 Likes

We are going to need a lot more information before we can troubleshoot this.

Column, column conditions, sample preparation, THCa crystallization method, etc.

4 Likes

@Chaboes is correct, without complete method details, the retention time of THCA isn’t near enough data to infer the identity of that peak.

presumably your operator doesn’t have a standard that runs there…

at a bare minimum seeing the standards they DO have over-layed on that trace is required to have any chance of helping you.

1 Like

@cyclopath I’m honestly not sure the method cid runs exactly I haven’t spent enough time on the analytics side of things. You may actually may know them better then I do.

As far as the sample it was
Hydrocarbon extraction for the initial exteaction…(3rd party) then mechanically separated. Typically the method produces a puck of 90+% thca. I have a feeling the processor who did the initial hydrocarbon extraction may be using to much media. Media may be getting into their collection tank and a conversion is happening while recovery occurs. The peak is present in sample before its mechanically separated just not as prevalent. Also when sample is decarbed d8 becomes present

1 Like

It’s d8 thc a obviously then

That’s dope even though it’s not what you want lol

Would that make it D8 THCA?

@cyclopath I cant say for sure. I did hear they recently developed a standard for d8thca. Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

Looks like Cayman has one

2 Likes

I accidentally made what I thought was d8thca. I am still not sure what it was.

1 Like

I’m glad you posted this here. My money is still on d8thca.

I dont think thats d8thca.

heres the synonyms listed.
Δ6-THC Acid
Δ8-trans-Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid A
Δ1(6)-Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid A

From what I’ve seen frkm in house tests it usually turns out to be THCVa or CBNa @thesk8nmidget you’re right the Cayman sample isn’t really D8THCa

1 Like

That’s a very interesting theory. Idk what it is but as stated before when sample is decarbed a d8 peak does show up. If it was cbna or thcva wouldn’t it want to go to cbn or thcv?

2 Likes

Precisely. and I can bet your method doesnt elute cbn or thcv near d8.

No not really

1 Like

Going through some of my old tests I found this which is very interesting

1 Like