Strange Crystalization in an batch of Distillate

Thank you! Was just about to ask for your opinion :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@Kingofthekush420 is correct about identifying CBC vs d10; besides a very slight difference in column retention time (depending on method), there are visible indicators in DAD spectrum that highlight differences between CBC and d10. @MagisterChemist nd @cyclopath both make great points. it is 100% a case of “can” vs “will”, AND it also is dependent on hplc method. Our variety of methods give us nice peak resolution for d10 and its stereoisomers.

p.s. I do have a degree :nerd_face: , just not a masters or PhD (yet).

3 Likes

lmfao my god you are cringey.

@extractepic yes, obviously its possible. we are talking about liquid chromatography after all.
@cyclopath hit the nail on the head. if youre running a standard cannabinoid method you wont be able to split those two. yes, you can buy a standard of d10 and create a method yourself. no, no one (except probably @extractepic) has done so.

@MagisterChemist

whats one?

1 Like

I didn’t buy a standard, I created one (and confirmed structure though NMR). Additionally, you can now buy ISO/CRM standards for d10 (and stereoisomers) through Cayman Chemical. Which means I’m definitely not the only one who has developed methods for separation. All about doing thorough research and exploring every outlet in this frontier industry :+1:t3:

7 Likes

I’m wandering over here…and need a clue or three.

thats badass.

2 Likes

Speaking of your d10 :wink:

4 Likes

I’m happy to help if I can. Give me a day or two for research, I’m not familiar with that instrument yet. And DM what the separation goal is.

4 Likes

I don’t have the exact gradient times anymore, but the method went from around 60:40 methanol:10mM ammonium formate water to 100% methanol and back down, and the column was raptor ARC-18. With that method they were resolved with the d10 coming out right after d8 and then the CBC comes out about 10 seconds later. Degraded product showed large off target peaks but never high CBC.

huh, interesting, i run (ran) that exact method(different spike), with that exact column! in an 1160 and a 1260, and you definitely dont get elution like that at all.

with those conditions, youd see d8 near d9, which are both well before the cbc/d10 mess.

huh. well, hopefully someone else can chime in whos run this method, its fairly standard.

I don’t know what you consider “well before”, but the retention times were something like as follows:

D9: 9 min
D8: 9.25 min
D10 (inferred identity, as no standards were available at this time): 9.5 min
CBC: 10 min

Basically equidistant between the D9 and CBC, and very close to D8. I don’t know why the results were different from yours. Maybe the gradient. It was a nonlinear gradient which I don’t have exact parameters for currently. I tested many samples of distillate with “mystery peaks”, but never ever had elevated CBC, instead always getting large peak right after D8.

1 Like

Thanks for that, gonna chat with the analytical lab we work with.

3 Likes