Stir Bars

I have high quality store bars that have ten times the magentic forces. Call the shop and we’ll get you one asap. These are all not even worth thier weight.

4 Likes

So your flask is flat bottomed? The egg shaped ones or the american style football ones are better for round bottom.

2 Likes

Definitely not. This bad boy has been with me forever. It was there for my first success diimide solid state reaction. For me it has taken on a level of superstition that means when I really need something to work, I pull her out. Haha. I’ve never used her for general operations - but I’ve also never had a stir bar randomly stop working, I have however, had the plastic coating break down or get jagged from poor handling, and then I remove it so there is no possibility of contamination.

How are you storing your magnets when not in use (or do you really run them forever until the die?)? Your comment about yours not lasting long made me really think about if I had ever had one lose its magnetism, instead of its coating. I never have had that happen…so I had to dig into the kind I use, the other kinds available. And now I understand now your question about them being expensive - if you are going with an ALNICO or something similar they cost more, and they should as they are designed to withstand heat and repeated abuse.

I learn so much every time I come here - I am so grateful for this community. :smiley: I’ve always used the ones I use because my very first boss some 20 years ago said it they were the best. I never worried about the cost, because I knew that they would work and just like not getting cheap glassware, I don’t get cheap components if I have something that I’ve used forever. In this case, I’m still using Corning glassware (sometimes also Pyrex…same company yeah?), stir bars, and stir plates.

2 Likes

Thats a strong claim … What is the cost ?
35mm / 40 mm
Edit: I can’t afford 300 USD for a stir bar

4 Likes

I’m guessing this was not in cannabis (not just because it was 20 years ago). I have yet to work for a cannabis company that is willing to do it right the first time and pay for quality materials. Cheap Chinese glass and barely magnetized stir bars are the status quo for a majority in the industry.

Even when it is clearly established that the ROI will be quick and will pay dividends in the long run, getting appropriate funding and equipment is not something I have ever experienced at any cannabis company I have worked for.

As far as storage of stir bars, I have always tried to store them in pairs in non-metallic boxes lined with bubble wrap to prevent jarring/slamming motions which are shown to assist the demagnetization process. I have always made sure to not store them as a jumbled mass thrown in a drawer.

Thanks for your response, @Cassin. I hope you continue to be free from the funding woes that plague so many of us in the industry.

4 Likes

Degaussing due to heat is definitely a thing…

I ran into a consultant that was teaching SPD sans vac gauge or head temp. He recommended a new stir bar each run.

7 Likes

Oh God! I almost forgot about that! :man_facepalming: Most every memory (sans one) could due to be lost to the void from that pit of despair… Wish we didn’t have to ever be subjected to stuff like that in person. It’s funny as hell to watch on video (at some other schmuck’s expense), though.

And the owner of that company took the “consultant’s” word as gospel (over both my and @cyclopath’s very vocal objections)! So glad we are free from that one!

2 Likes

This is one of the smallest stir bars I have ever seen.

2 Likes

What’s it made of? What is the magnetic material?
You have any kind of test to validate your claims?

2 Likes

Probably rare earth

1 Like

Rare earth are much much stronger than regular magneta

3 Likes

I have basic rare earth. I also have a proprietary magnet pill I am about to release that isn’t regular shit you can find on market.

5 Likes

And what makes your “basic rare earth” better than anyone else’s?

3 Likes

Comes with 25$ gift card for Starbucks

6 Likes

There’s only a handful of magnetic materials that can be used. You cannot magically make the material 10x stronger.

3 Likes

And only costs $299.95 (plust tax)! Haha (just joking! Really actually want a response from the king. Not trying to “poke the bear.” Haha)

5 Likes

No I know it was just to good to pass up lol, ( smith supply has rare earth magnets for like 65-80$ for a 2mm-4mm oval egg)

Might be cheaper I also might have a picture hold up

4 Likes

7 Likes

I was only joking. His are really only:

But I still want to know what makes his rare earth pills better than anyone else’s…

4 Likes

round bottom or Erlenmeyer?

5 Likes