Stir Bars

Infused tequila? Lol

4 Likes

yeah man, the simple cheap, single neck, sort of welsh thing lolo

2 Likes

yes, i get you, what i want is a rare earth egg … lol but i need to know whats the max size i can fit in the flask .

2 Likes

I don’t know what the biggest that will fit/work is, but I use a 35mmx8mm cylinder with pivot ring for a 2L

3 Likes

I have some eggs at work. I’ll see what fits and let you know tonight

2 Likes

ok, thank you, i will " science " lol

i thnk 35 maybe 40 mm
i might sober up and actually do maths … its not hard to work out what im asking to be fair …
a bit py thag o rus and i will answer my self lol

4 Likes

Wow that’s a lot of money for a stir bar.
Have you tried ours?

7 Likes

Totally not a joke. You can definitely get smaller ones. Those are not even the smallest available. The biggest one you have can totally be used to stir at least 1L flask no problem. They really do work. When I buy mine I try to get one that is between 10-20% of the diameter of my container.

Sure hope you are going to be able to use them in some way. Toss them in and see the vortex they create on the stir plate. I always thought it was crazy how effective these little things can be.

Love to see a video or photo of you using the biggest one and just how much of a vortex it creates in your flask. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree it’s a shit ton but I’ve had great luck with it and stopped my search once I found it.

I think it’s even higher priced on most sites too

3 Likes

Just measured the stir bar I use for my 2L boiling flask. It measures pretty close to 3.5cm (35mm) in length. Egg shaped. I’m sure a larger one could fit, you’ll just have to bend your temp probe a bit more, but this is the only size I’ve used in that flask. Also it’s what Lab Society paired with their 2L b.f. Works good, no issues with spinning or getting off balance when there’s oil in the flask.

2 Likes

How long do you get before it demagnetizes?

2 Likes

I’ll see your small stir bar, and raise you an even smaller one!

6 Likes

I see your picture & raise you a video comparison :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t know how long they are supposed to last…but I still have one from my freshman year of college…which at this point was almost 20 years ago. And it still works. Its from my very first solid state resin extraction project. <3

2 Likes

Rare earth magnet or regular ptfe magnet? Cause I’ve had a white one loose it’s magnetization within a few runs or last a few years.

2 Likes

Yeah, but were you using it regularly for short-path distillation? Decarb/devol? Regular, sustained use at high velocity and temperature will demagnetize stir bars. I have yet to met one that didn’t degrade over time and use. Generally speaking, high quality ones usually take a bit more of a beating before giving up, hence my question regarding the rather expensive example above.

The stir bars in my labs may be spinning every operational hour of the day (which at times has been every dang hour of the day), so all the extra time working at it’s best should make for quick ROI.

2 Likes

I had one like that at one point in time. I think I posted about it a long time ago or was talking about it with soxhlet and mentioning the tiny beaker in his avatar.

3 Likes

Hahaha

2 Likes

That thing is literally the size of a grain of rice

2 Likes

I’m aware. I had one that small at one point in time at my old place. I swear I posted a picture of it. But, it would be rounding two years ago I want to say

3 Likes