Stereoinversion of Delta 9 THC

Anyone have any idea how to flip the chirality of Delta 9 THC? I know its possible but had no idea that this could even be done till thismorning.

You can use metalorganic chemistry to isolate specific isomers, but idk about conversion.

Its possible, it was done back in the 60s.

synthetic chemists normally use strong bases when there is a carbonyl present in the molecule. there is not one present but you can try adding three equivalents of base and then protonating the reaction mixture. verify using polarimetry.

4 Likes

or cheap shades :sunglasses:

2 Likes

which stereocenter are you wishing to invert? both at the ring junction? or just one over the other?

@QGA Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology, this is the molecule I want

The piggy back off of wc strong base is a way to do this. The process is called to epimerize. However pretty tough to do at ring junction/fusion sites. My guess is you will get deprotonation at the benzylic proton at the ring fusion and could get some increased conjugation. I am sure mecholaum and co workers or other related synthetic chemists have tried this

Will this really work to identify if I’ve created this? Polarized light and shades?

If you’ve gone from a single isomer to a mixture, or the other isomer, you should have an indication.

Will you “know”? Nope, but it will the be worth tracking down the right tool (out of my depth defining that here :slight_smile: )

Camera filters are a better (cheapskate) route.

1 Like

Why do you want that specific stereoisomer?

I want to make a bunch of different stereoisomers to see what they do. I just chose to start with delta 9 because I know its possible to make a stereoisomer of it.

2 Likes