Steam Distilled hop oils

I’m wondering if anyone can shed some light on the process/equipment Hopsteiner is using to create their variety-specific hop oils. Thanks for any thoughts or insight.

1 Like

Looks like hop kief boiling in water.
Theres a condenser attached to the top of the hydrosol seperator.

1 Like

Yeah, nothing fancy or out of the extraordinary here. Probably not representative of what they actually use industrially (pressurized steam).

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/steamfast-1000-steam-jewelry-cleaner?ID=9922019

Can’t beat $90 steam boiler

1 Like

I’ve used this exact unit for pulling terps from hops. Can confirm it works

Anyone tried rosin from hops? Couple guys I knew in Denver said it was amazing for beer making.

Edit: They even dabbed it, haha.

4 Likes

I’ve used steam distilled terps from hops to flavor food when I worked at a brewery. You haven’t lived til you’ve eaten a creme brulee that tastes like your favorite beer.

I’d bathe in Galaxy hop oil if I could.

2 Likes

The perfect friday night!

1 Like

@cyclopath, did we ever get those hops extracts tested (made many years ago)?

I know you get crude when extracted in a similar method to cannabis (we used ethanol), but I couldn’t tell you what’s in it. Certainly smelled like hops, though. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I wonder what some lightly crc’d hydrocarbon hop extract would be like…

1 Like

Probably super waxy and loaded with sugar!

1 Like

dude how did it dab? I’m so down to try. Is it possible to butane or propane extract hops?

1 Like

They said it tasted great, I would imagine so, probably lots of terps.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to, I’d wager it’s been done before.

1 Like

might be some great meds… I can’t think of any product that includes hop terps. closest thing is beer but that’s fermented which might degrade terps :man_shrugging: and isn’t as ckncentrated or refined as a butane extract

1 Like

I’ve dabbed co2 hop oil, the aroma is tasty but the alpha/beta acids are nasty and harsh.

1 Like

for sure. might be better to eat?

2 Likes

do you like beers like ipa’s out of curiosity?
Have you smelled citra?

1 Like

The alpha acids isomerize during regular boiling in beer making, I bet that was bitter!

iso-alpha acids | Craft Beer & Brewing.

It is a dual-use hop. I have used it for bittering and aroma. The grapefruit/passionfruit terps with an earthy undertone are reminiscent of a lot of the citrus strains of cannabis these days. I would even love a Galaxy hop craft cocktail for the complexity.

2 Likes