Startup delay timer?

Is there a simple cheap solution to prevent hps refiring too soon after a power interruption? Im dealing with a windstorm but its something i shouldve figured out a long time ago.

I have a high temp kill switch that has a variable start up delay. Titan controls zephyr 2

You can set start up delay from 0-15 min

Otherwise most digital ballasts have their own preventive restrike features in place. They’re not 100% though

1 Like

I have a similar device but is that strong enough to power 1k through it day in day out? I dont even trust regular timers and have big mechanical timers with swoo cables. I need a 420 friendly electrician in here. Id love to replace my panel and change some circuits to 20 amp but I shouldn do it. I know its bad to restart lamps, thats one more advantage to led. I got the meter into he basement and it was naturally more co2 so the 4 burner is perfect- raise the temp and gets enough co2. Itll be radiant floor heat on the main floor and the top always ran hot.

Have you just tried waiting and seeing how long it takes to come back on? It should just come back on if the power is fine even the old school ballasts

1 Like

it came on within 10 seconds twice tonight. Im guessing it was the wind. It really beats up the bulbs to restart them hot. I just rented a par meter and the difference between year old bulbs and new was huge. Im guess some hot restarts had to do with that.

Hmm well if they came back on then you know they will be fine to do so if your gone now you just gotta see if you can block the wind or support cable outside? I’m not sure how your setup is but I’d be more worried about a loose connection or something if it’s flickering

it was the whole neighborhood I presume. A big power line was blowing against a tree or something. But restarting hot hps or lec degrades the bulb. thats all im concerned with. alot of times It tries and doesnt work and its getting ignition pulses over an over till it cools and fires. I was home so ran and shut them off for 20 minutes

Ohh ok. Yea if its out of your control like that there’s nothing you can do bro it’s out of your hands the bulbs are consumables in my mind just have some bulbs on standby in case they blow all together ive had to deal with outages as well but ive never worried about bulbs after a restart like that. You change em every cycle or so anyways right?

per the title I think theres a device for this purpose.

Its inside some expensive controllers but I want the basic version. Im not sure but it may be a timed relay?

Something like an mlc right?

dunno what that is.

something that when power comes back it delas a few mins before returning power but heavy duty.

It’s what I use there are different kinds some way bigger a few smaller but they help with stuff your talking about

multi light control? yes those have it in there. I already have these heavy duty timers so dont wanna buy those.

that may end up the solution is pay out the ass for something i could make myself.

Ah well between those big timers you use and these there aren’t many steps. Probably looking at a diy type thing but id rather just buy the mlc and be safe about it lol

Im cheap and a diy type.

Same for most things but not these of all the things I’ll do myself lol. I had custom receptacles in boxes I made way back in my first years but the bulky Romex was to much and when those mlcs were just so damn easy it was a no brainer to switch