Start up

Continuing the discussion from New to the game: thanks for the help to the people that helped I’m tryna learn as much as possible I’m from Canada just moving lbs of weed but I feel like there’s more profit elsewhere and I’m ready to expand and branch out just found this community and it’s very knowledgeable

solventless is where everything is going and where you wanna be if you wanna make the most per unit. Otherwise, it’s about volume…

enjoy…good luck out there…it can be brutal at times…

2 Likes

where in Canada?

in his mom’s basement…figuring out how he’s gonna take the market by storm making distillate from $350/lb input.

3 Likes

Just concentrate on growing/securing amazing weed. The rest just kinda happens

5 Likes

I can assure you, almost everyone in the Canadian black market is losing their shirt in the weed game right now.

Only people making good money already have a big client list or a website. Or else are large scale producers.

You might be able to scoop up some $400lbs and sell $75 ounces if that’s your jam. But moving packs, and small scale extraction is pretty much dead in the water.

Margins are razor thin, big players have scaled.

You might be able to find some fire trim/bud and make some live resin by hand and still fetch $60/g.

In general you might clear $40-60k/year if you’re working your ass off…

Might as well just get a job.

6 Likes

Last time I read distillate yields, it was 50 lbs of decent biomass for 1 liter of distillate first pass

That was off of here as well

Start a grow, and go from there. Thats what I’m doing. Indoor 3x3x6 can fit 4 flowering ladies and 20+ seed and veg. Least for me. When you think you got the hang of the smaller scale move up

1 Like

Found it

Just so we’re all on the same page. This is utter nonsense.

50lbs of decent bio let’s call it 15%

454g x .15 = 68.1g

Let’s decarb that
68.1 x .88 = 59.928g

Then let’s multiply that times 50

59.928g x 50 = 2996.4g or damn near 3 liters

The way only for that to get you a single liter is if your bio isn’t as good as you thought, or if your extraction efficiency is total trash

3 Likes

I was going off that post I quoted and linked, its from a few years back

Thank you for updating it as I was going off that old post

That’s really good advice tbh I didn’t think abt it like that how it’s not a local type thing

1 Like

Ontario

50lbs should give you a lot more than a kilo. Anyone starting up right now should avoid ethanol unless you plan to run litteral tons of boof. Running to distillate is retarded, just go to isolate, use your terps as a loss leader or secondary product.

1 Like

In general, industry average multiplier for losses in process including weight loss in decarboxylation; is 0.6 or 60%.

So take your available thca content in your weed, multiply it by 0.6, multiply by your weight, and you’ll end up with a ballpark for distillate yield off of biomass.

15% biomass, is probably 25lbs of bud to make a kg of oil, give or take 10%.

Damnit, looks like I spoon fed him in the end anyhow.

4 Likes

You’re saying decarboxylation and process loss takes 60% !?

nope (40%). getting about 60% of your starting in the jar when you’re done.

it might the first time couple of times through though…

1 Like

Losses in process, and losses in decarboxylation.

Most people run 85-90% efficiency in thc-a removal. The best of us get 95-97%, but that’s rare.

Winterization knocks off 5-10% pending on your wax load and protocols.

Heads and tails can take 5-15%.

Decarb is 12%.

Degredation can be anywhere from 1-15% pending on storage, age, exposure etc.

All of that adds up!

3 Likes

If you want a business model for a small scale guy to lead a comfortable life.

Find a decently high tourist/traffic farmland. Get real good at growing, and some live resin/rosin/vertically integrated product line.

They’re allowing direct sales to consumer with micro grow licenses in Ontario and BC akin to a craft winery or brewery.

Become a destination, you’ve got your own dispensary onsite.

If you’re lucky you can build it all for under $150-200k, maybe less if you’re real bootstrappy.

Cross your fingers that a few other people get on board near you, to create something akin to “wine country” in BC and you’ll have loads of people cruising through the area looking at your farm and paying you $10/g for your organic, hand crafted cannabis.

The ol’ “tegridy farms” business model.

You won’t be a multi-millionare, but you’ll be damn comfy, maybe expand out into a few areas. Requires a bit of bucks and a lot of luck.

4 Likes