Stainless Steel Rotovap? /OpenSource Idea?

Like these!! Like what if there was a way to get something like these on the bottom of a base and have the base jacketed and those hose inlet areas were able to rotate freely with the base while the hoses stayed stationary.

The hoses would be going thru the spinning heated plate.

Honestly maybe even like a heated centrifuge kind of solvent distillation might be a good way to go about the the spinning/agitation. Again though, the rotational joints and heating.

Yeah!!! A heated centrifugal solvent distillation rather than extraction!!! The heated spinning plate could be part of the spinner and there could be a rotational joint that allows it to spin freely from the triclamp spool. It would have massive scalability capacity…

Because with a fuge you would just need to clamp down the base. Given all the parts would need to be rated for ethanol and need to be explosion proof and spark proof … It would be a nifty idea

1 Like

An orbital shaker under a jacketed collection and base is a good idea. Use something like a large stainless vacuum bellows to connect to the condenser for the flexibility. Set at the right speed, one should be able to get the liquid flowing around the walls and bottom of the collection pot/boiling flask pretty well. Might be a fun trick trying to see what’s up through the sight glass while it’s shaking.

1 Like

I wonder if I could get one of these up to 120 rpm :thinking:. Maybe I can some how figure out a way to make one heated.

Anyone know how I would attach an rpm controller and a digital heat source to one of those?

I’ve been thinking of the same sort of thing for sometime now and I was even thinking about using some cryogenic oxygen tanks that I have by taking the inside tank out and putting a bearing in where the neck is now and having a motor turn it inside of the other tank that it’s jacketed by and heating fluid up inside of the jacket while it’s spinning. I am willing to donate a few tanks to somebody if they would like to try to accomplish this.

2 Likes

US $2.94 33%OFF | 220 V Synchronous Motor AC 220V 110V Gear 14W Electric Motors Capacitor 60KTYZ Speed Reducer 2.5/10/15/20/30/40/60/80/100/110rpm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPMttMt

Maybe one of these for the motor…

It’s really hard to find a digital rpm controller that are like the ones that are on an re-501… Can anyone chime in on where to find a similar digital rpm controller that I could use to control a motor turn table motor or just a motor for spinning things in general.

2 Likes

Why couldnt you just use a stainless boiling flask?.

1 Like

They exist?

I have only found one and I spent a while looking the other day.

Here’s a 3 neck stainless. However I couldn’t find another of any type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Round-Bottom-Stainless-Steel-Flask-2000-ml-3-necks-spherical-joint-/133143626426?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

2 Likes

Because it doesn’t have a removable bottom. The whole idea behind this is for not only utilizing stainless but also to be able to harvest the concentrate easier.

2 Likes

Recovery and evap bases connected by 6’ 1” stainless braided hose. Both vessels on rollers positioned at 45 degrees. Think rainbow @WolfeXtracts

I think the heated fuge idea would be the best idea. Cause it would be a programmed rpm and spinning out the solvent

Lemme find that liiinnnnkkkk

You gotta use all the search terms to find these.

There are other sources out there too, I always have a hard time finding them though.

While we are here:

Feedthroughs:

2 Likes

After u figure out roto distill in one of these

7 Likes

I thought about it long and hard and I think I came up with a solution If there was a way to make a free spinning shot gun condenser where the vapor tube is then the problem would essentially be solved here. As well as making the rotovap stand able to counter balance the weight of all the stainless added

Well what I figure is maybe I can see if @Soxhlet or @Killa12345 could make me some kind of free spinning hose parts attached to 1/2 inch water outlets on a jackets splatter platter and make a free spinning clamp… but I need to accumulate cash first. but I want to make the free spinning idea work and I want to be able to measure out the weight differentials and maybe even see if one of them can build me a heavier rotovap stand Then again my last post wasnt a bad thought either

Probably easier to adapt a stock rotary union

1 Like