"Stabilized CBDa" (CBDa-ME)

From https://www.wehi.edu.au/professor-dan-peer-george-s-wise-faculty-life-sciences:

"Dan Peer is a Professor and the Director of the Laboratory of Precision NanoMedicine at Tel Aviv University (TAU). He is the Director of a national nanomedicine initiative project. He is also the Director of Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Nanotechnology Research Fund and the Chair of Tel Aviv University Cancer Biology Research Center; the biggest Cancer Center in Israel that includes 17 affiliated hospitals.

In contrast to the extensive knowledge on CBD, there is very limited literature on cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), also a major constituent of the Cannabis sativa plant, which may be due to its instability. It was first isolated in 1955 (KrejÄŤĂ­ and Ĺ antavĂ˝, 1955, Acta Univ Palacki Olomuc 6:59-66). Its structure was elucidated in 1965 by analysis of the physical properties of its methyl ester, cannabidiolic acid methyl ester (CBDA-ME) (Mechoulam and Gaoni, Tetrahedron, 1965, 21:1223-1229). Its synthesis from cannabidiol was subsequently reported (Mechoulam and Ben-Zvi, J. Chem. Soc. Commun., 1969, 7:343-344).

The cannabinoid acids are precursors of the natural cannabinoids (Potter et al., J. Forensic Sci., 2008, 53:90-94) potentially lowering the amount of drug required to induce effects.

Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) is a group of chronic inflammatory conditions of the gastrointestinal tract that can impact both the large and small bowel. IBD affects approximately 1.4 million Americans, and its peak onset is in persons 15 to 30 years of age. With direct correlation between IBD flare-ups and a stressful lifestyle it is no surprise that between 1975 and 2006, over 100,000 hospitalizations for IBD occurred within the Veteran healthcare system. Although its etiology remains unknown, unregulated immune system and aberrantly activated lymphocytes and monocytes are implicated in the IBD pathogenesis. As many IBD patients are refractory to conventional medical treatments, developing novel therapeutic modalities is urgent.

We tested two Inflammatory bowel disease models (an acute IBD model; DSS induced colitis) and a Chronic model (IL-10 Knockout mice) to evaluate the anti-inflammatory effect of CBDA-ME. Our results show a robust therapeutic effect of CBDa-ME over CBD and open new avenues for maintenance therapy in IBD and other potential inflammatory conditions."

CBDa has a lot of therapeutic potential, and now methyl ether CBD seems like it will become the future of CBD industry in terms of it’s potential as a pharmaceutical. This information is not super easy to locate, but CBDa-ME is very simple to make from CBDa.

Even though CBDa-ME is not an acid and technically an ester, they refer to it as stabilized CBDa because the nomenclature “methyl ester” sounds scary to the average cannabis person.

What does everyone think? I think we should start cranking this stuff out before the pharmaceutical companies do.

12 Likes

How. Methyl chloroformate will add to the hydroxyl group. You need to know how to recarb…

4 Likes

If you can’t isolate CBDa and then methylate from there, then you would protect the hydroxyl with TMS or another protecting group and then do a friedel-crafts acylation to recarb.

4 Likes

Only issue with that is using diazomethane since acidic conditions will mess with CBD. Making a mixed anhydride would be another route. Not sure about how to keep the pH high without removing the other carboxylate.

2 Likes

Will pH mess with CBD if rxn conditions are -70°C?

I’m sure we could come up with a way…

2 Likes

Not 100% sure about the cold. All I know is that Lewis bases will both attack carbonyls or do acid/base chemistry.

2 Likes

Why not start with undecarbed cbda?

4 Likes

Because that’s no fun

7 Likes

Depending on the extraction and infusion method CBDA is quite stable! I’ve been making 1:1 THCA-CBDA tinctures for the past three years for an inflammatory autoimmune disease I have. I’ve had the solution analyzed for potency at 30 and 60 days after the infusion with no decarboxalyation or degradation in potency.

I’ve also made CBDA tinctures without THCA. The solution was analyzed for potency at 30 and 60 days after the infusion with no decarboxalyation or degradation in potency.

8 Likes

Even pure cbd has a pretty long shelf life when kept in a container in a cool and dark place.

2 Likes

Do you have any to spare? I can run a methylation using diazomethane.

4 Likes

Source me some high-quality fresh hemp trim and I’ll make it happen for you

3 Likes

GDH’s?

1 Like

I’m sorry but what is GDH? Glutamate dehydrogenase?

1 Like

Glutaryl-coenzyme A dehydrogenases

1 Like

It seems like this enzyme oxidatively decarboxylates.

I am looking to either recarb (been successful) followed by a subsequent methylation using diazomethane. I do not want to expose CBDa to any acid (Fischer Esterification)

4 Likes

Not in all cases. Check this out. One seems has been discovered to nondecarboxylate.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/bi100317m

2 Likes

Thanks for testing this out! I want to hear about the results. You should see a methyl peak shifted upfield in the nmr spectra

1 Like

Yeah 3.6 to 4.0 ppm

3 Likes

@GlassAlchemist