Spectrometry paper - https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2020/RA/C9RA08225E#!divAbstract

c9ra08225e.pdf (569.0 KB)

Problems with this on first glance. 3 is the big one.

1. The hemp and cannabis plants were processed differently before testing. They could be measuring the effect of freezing/processing cannabis.
  2. Only a single growers material was used and growing method was never mentioned. They could simply be measuring this greenhouse’s large or small difference in growing method/greenhouses.
  3. They attribute differences in the spectra to THCa without any evidence THCa is causing the peaks. As far as I can find no controls are mentioned using pure THCa in order to confirm THCa is causing the spectral changes. This means it’s all about correlating a random peak with THCa potency. Those peaks could be almost anything contained in the resin, yet they are going to try and say it’s THCa because the concentrations are correlated. Pretty misleading research at best if my understanding is correct.

Raman tech just keeps getting better and better.
I’d like to see this research not focus as much on anything other than thc content tho. Any difference in carotenoid and other plant molecules could be strain specific. So until Raman can be used to quantify THC it’s useless… I mean, that’s basically the definition (>0.3% d9) in the farm bill so…