SPD with no cow

What brand?

One from rocco and one from vac dynamics

1 Like

You’re the second person to tell me the isolation valve they got from Rocco was solid. I’ll have to hit him up.

2 Likes

Post a link if you can :spoon:

I have a run I’ve been procrastinating on.

Not sure what’s going on with their website, but When I looked earlier this year at vac dynamics they wanted $850 for their isolation valve. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone pay that much for a Rocco valve.

2 Likes

Vacuum dynamics is outta business and my rocco one is a custom made one. I haveent not used a vac adapter for 2nd pass in yrs.

3 Likes

I personally love the Across International screw type receiving adapter. There is a stopper you screw down and a vacuum release port at the flask so you screw it down release vac, change flask, close vac release and unscrew. you can get change time down to around five seconds with a little practice.

7 Likes

Still curious to hear anyone’s opinion of this neat one from Goldleaf. I have a feeling it’s more of an expensive novelty than something that would actually solve the heat sink problem of the isolation valves, but I’d love to hear someone’s take on them who actually has experience. Looks like an interesting approach to try to solve that problem at the very least.

Also, maybe I like novel lab art…:man_shrugging:t3:

https://www.goldleaflabs.com/jacketed-distillation-receiver-45-50.html

Looks way over complicated and way over priced.

2 Likes

I own that receiver. Works super well and doesn’t leak. I only have 1 issue with it. Where the valve screws in to isolate the the flask at that elbow my heads fraction will get stuck in the corner and mix in with my main body for the rest of the distillation. I usually have to shutdown the system to clean that elbow at the end of the heads fraction

2 Likes

Yeah me too. I was keen to have the 3 way cow, but i went with the AI valve rather. No heads contamination in mains. The only issue if I’m slow with changing flasks when collecting mains, and disty collects all arounds the valve, when i open i get a steam of disty into the vac release port and cap. Gotta change that flask quickly when main body starts…

1 Like

Run a line from the release cap to a T at your pump and vac the flask down before completely opening it. I run all 1” and i would have disty go down my line and freeze shut in my cold trap, that solved it completely

1 Like