SPD head modification

So i have this type of head:

I’m thinking adding another 2cm of vigreux would add some more reflux action allowing for better separation of CBD and THC without massively extending distillation time.

Good idea?

just add a cm or two of SS or Copper scrubbies/packing it will sit right on top of the current vig

3 Likes

Great idea, cheers :slight_smile:
Anyway I’m getting new head and can request any changes to the design. I have 2l i 1l setups. I’d also want to try hot condenser tek.

You can not Split cbd from thc in Distillation keep dreaming :weary:

6 Likes

ah i didnt read that far. no level of mods to that SPD head will allow CBD:THC separation

4 Likes

I hope to get some mostly THC from CBD/THC distillate that clocks 80:20. I know that full separation is impossible but I have some carts I’d want to try with something more THC heavy.

Well than an spd is not what you need
Eventhough @anon42519203
Is having some slight seperation if i am not mistaken on spd

Ya. Chroma is better

2 Likes

But with deep vacuum are you able to create a cbd richer head
And thc richer. Main ?
If i understood well you where playing with fraqtioning the two as far as this is possible and had aslight richer fraqtion
Overall

I’m trying to offset reduced resolution from a deep vacuum by extending vigro. Extra 2cm will cost me extra 1-2hours of distillation time but my heads should be mostly THC while mains should be mostly CBD (talking about second pass).

In theory it sounds nice, but it doesnt work. Wait how deep of a vacuum u got? Like .000001 micron?

1 Like

UHV is great to lower boiling points but it brings boiling point of both CBD and THC to a point where they codistill.

But the only time when both codistill at the same rate is when they reach azeotrope. Codistillation gradient looks different while approaching azeotrope and for some time lower boiling compound will make majority of gases leaving reflux stage.

But that’s just the theory and it may not work at all in reality due to too many variables at play.

Maybe tek used in cooking oil to remove mycotoxins boiling above 400C without damaging the actual oil is the way to go?

1 Like

Yes, i cut the thc potency in the “heads” fraction by half… from 3 to 1.5% but it was slow. It was all about temp consisncy so that heads came oit reaaaaaly slow

2 Likes

Couldn’t get glass rings small enough so used ss springs used in spirit distillation instead:

Should do the trick
Insulate well

It’s easy to forget that cannabinoids are heat sensitive compounds. Adding more resistance to the equation only promotes isomerization. Thc and cbd can’t really be separated in a short path because they both have almost exactly the same vapor weight (fractional distillation is separation by vapor weight) and even using chromatography is tricky and wasteful because of the fact. Separating two compounds that are entirely different in weight is very easy. Separating two compounds with almost the same weights and polarity is very difficult and oftentimes wasteful even with an efficient sop and equipment pairing. The fractions in chromatography aren’t usually very clean cuts like most people imagine, hence the loss between distillate and t free.

There is one method that can be done to remove almost all thc with very little loss and no chromatography equipment but fractional distillation is only the first step. I haven’t seen it out in the field much and I keep the method to myself for the most part but it can be done

3 Likes

I’ve used a variety of different length and varieties of distillation heads and columns with cannabinoids, as well as a variety of SPD and WFE skids with diffusion pumps, turbo pumps, etc and have only ever seen fractions of differing ratios, never anything close to totally pure fractions. Often the result was better corrected to starting material such as THC vs CBD rich strains.

Vigreux columns didn’t do it, glass and other packed media didn’t do it, synder columns didn’t do it, oldershaw columns didnt do it, all kinds of lengths and bore sizes.

IMO you’re better off designing your rig for the desired overall TAC potency and throughput. Get some type of chromatography rig and or reactor type rig for post processing if isolation is really that important.

Many have chased that dragon with distillation, many have reached the same conclusion, unfortunately

3 Likes

Is it a catalyst tech you use or
A isomerization deu to some mechanical proces ?
Like light or microwave ?

1 Like

I’d go into it in depth if the market wasn’t so crazy right now but no, it isn’t any of those things

2 Likes

Well 2022 if it s not out by then i hope you share
Can most lickly get you a future4200 award if you are the first to trow it in public😉

1 Like