SPD basics

Thanks for the advice.
Is the oxidation the THC or CBD?
Or the lipids?

that I am not sure of. At a guess its the parts of the distillate that isnā€™t the cannabinoids.

apparently i am wrong

Iirc @beaker said withing minutes of allowing his water clear almost pure d8/9 to hit atmosphere, it started to oxidize.

4 Likes

Hi Demontrich
Thanks for joining the conversation.
I am going to buy a 310 from RSI do that I can test what is going on in the SPD and subsequent storage vessels. I suspect that the red might be an increased CBN concentration.

Itā€™s oxidation.

Iā€™ve been told that distillation can bleach the chlorophyll compounds and they will rapidly turn red but I may be wrong.

You can run unwinterized/non decarbed material on first pass. The method is to pull vacuum with the material at room temp. Get as deep of a vacuum as possible before turning on any heat or stir. Once done, begin heating 2C at a time with stir at a minimum. Scale temps up watching for any rising (muffining) if it remains within a comfortable height up to 60C you may begin turning up the stir. Once a max stir has been reached at 60C you can begin scaling temps more aggressively to 80C then 100 then to 120C. If you run wide bore your vac will suddenly drop around 123Cā€¦ this is typical decarb ā€œbreakā€ temps. Its the point at which we called ā€œthe popā€ after this the material will behave the same as any other material. If not on wide bore the break point is closer to 140C but be very careful not to overload your system and keep close watch in vac depth

I usually winterize post first run to get rid of the terp fraction and unnecessary fractions you do not intend to keep. The lack of terps means your ethanol will be able to be reused more often. And depending on your filtration for winterization you can scale as low as 5:1 ethanol:oil ratio for the filtration.

11 Likes

Hey there BreakingDabs.
Thanks for joining in the conversation. I was under the impression that everyone winterized and decarbed before SPD. What you are saying obviously come from experience.
You know what you are after in the crude and have found a strategy that works for you. Thank you for explaining your method in detail.
I am trying for get to a point where I use no ethanol at all in the whole process.

1 Like

Also you can scorch unwinterized oil with less oxidation because of the waxes ability to encapsulate the compound. I think of it like an orange peel protecting the fruit.

2 Likes

I havent found a way to separate some of the finer lipids within the material via spd or wfe. If youre are trying to avoid ethanol in the process you would need to do extraction at extremely cold temperatures using hydrocarbon. Ive been down that route. Using ethanol is essential for processing unless youre not going for ultra refinement from lipid and fat content.

2 Likes

I havent noticed an overall difference between the two when it comes to oxidization. After first pass the material doesnt spend much time before its placed directly into ethanol. My finished liters are among the hardest with minimal oxide layer on top. Ive found pH has more to do with oxide as wel as residual ā€œheads fractionā€ content. Recent test of 97% overall cannabinoids using this method. The purple stuff i did came out at 98% but had some cbc conversion due to some issues with first pass on the 50L that i had.

3 Likes

The red is not cbn. As we have plenty of people creating pure cbn products that arent red. Its believed to be an oxidation reaction. a phenolic oxidation based on reactions weve done. Weve done extended tests on pure thca that has been decarbed to thc and caused to turn red/brown/purple. The material did not show a generation of cbn.

3 Likes