Soupy CO2 Oil

Whats up everybody,

I use an Apecks supercritical CO2 machine, I run it at 500-550 PSI in the separators and 2000 PSI in the extraction vessel. My chiller is set to 4C during my filling process than bumped up to 15C for my extraction cycle. I also run with a rag soaked with ethanol in the bottom of the extraction vessel. Ive been coming out with some watery CO2 oil after winerization, rotovap, and decarb. Although i havent tested for residual solvent, i doubt there is ethanol in the oil after rotovap and decarb at 125C for 4 hours.

Anyone have any idea why my oil would be coming out so soupy, we are having a big problem because its leaking right out of our carts, any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

2 Likes

I find that post-winterized CO2 oil is typically more “soupy” than other oils. How soupy we talking? Do you have photos?

Did the soupiness start after running a new type of material?

I have not heard of adding an alcohol soaked rag. Did the soupiness start after you started doing this?
I’ve heard that alcohol is a great cosolvent for supercritical CO2, but it could also be pulling more undesirables.

I would test for residual solvents before you start filling carts to be 100% certain that your procedures are effective. We started adding a FFE cleanup after rotovaping and I’ve been surprised at how much ethanol remains.

Soupy Oil

Click the “soupy oil” for the link to the video

1 Like

Have you removed the terpenes?

When I remove -all- of the terpenes, the oil is pretty stiff. If you haven’t removed your terpenes, especially at that low of a decarb temperature you probably have a lot leftover, which decreases the viscosity of your oil.

2 Likes

im going to try decarbing at 142C back closer to where i was. I will also not use vacc because i realized that is used to preserve terpine content in oil. Hoping this will help, thanks for your input!

1 Like

hey i am a c02 processor out of oklahoma. are you decarbinmg your winterized concentrate?