Some questions from a newb

i just built my own CLS my question is, what chemicals should I use to clean the stainless? naptha? also, should I pressure test first or vacuum test first. I am able to use nitrogen to pressure test my rig at work, in a safe 20x20 container.

3 Likes

Hit up @StoneD. He is great for beginners especially

Much more patience than some of us lol

9 Likes

For first time clean I’d use several cleaner solvents…like acetone , then rubbing alcohol or etoh, then alconix if u got then ro water or distilled water…once ive did this to reclean it I’d just do empty butane run no material unless I thought I contaminated my rig.

Always pressure test a vaccum test will tell you nothing…air is easier but if your gonna use nitrogen then pressure test with it but be concerned that nitrogen vapor atoms are super small and it’s known to create leaks even on new rig. I pressure test about 100-115psi right before my prvs set at 120psi…also pop the prv for test of those also

And always retighten high pressure clamps after they get dry ice cold or yoyo get leaks when running

After that do tons reading and using the search bar. If you don’t have time to do the reading u can always pay someone :person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

14 Likes

I like to recheck clamps after a vacuum is pulled. They always seem to need a couple extra turns on them.
I agree pressure test and vacuum test. I personally like todo a cold test run after the other tests without material. Everything shrinks in the cold. All good after that. Thats just how i do things on a new assembly
Of course cleaned with iso to remove the manufacturing oil off them.

Better recheck those clamps after it’s dry ice cold bc they will loosen esp on bigger rigs w 6inch columns

5 Likes

Im a lil more cautious when i get things down past -20 to _50. My fear is things being more brittle when completely froze down.
Im more agressive on the wtenching aftet vacuum pulled.
And more cautious how hard i wrench once froze down. Maybe im just being paranoid?

2 Likes

Smaller rigs tend to stay tight but sometimes they can loosen in the cold also. It’s something I’d always check out

1 Like

200p ethanol or 99% ipa for cleaning stainless, use mct oil or coconut oil on ur gaskets.
Def pressure test beforehand. Potentially save yourself a bunch of headaches.

3 Likes

Coconut oil is way too underrated for gasket use. Works great, keeps em nice a fresh.

Edit: and you just need a lil dibbledabble of it, don’t need to go crazy with it.

1 Like

I would actually recommend against doing this because technically PRVs have to be recertified after they pop. At the very least, only do it sparingly.

This is probably safe from a real world perspective, but popping a prv is a pretty intense event and you don’t want to wear the internals out unnecessarily if you’re depending on them to protect you.

Source: ex Process Safety Engineer in oil and gas.

9 Likes

Mine are adjustable SS prvs how would I ever know what it was set on if I didn’t check it?

Let me clarify.

If you have an ASME stamped pressure vessel system, it has to be protected by an ASME certified relief valve. According to pressure vessel code, an ASME relief valve has to be re-certified after it pops in order to maintain it’s certification.

This tells me that this definitely is NOT an ASME system, which makes the above point moot. I’m only posting for informational purposes so that a bystander doesn’t get the idea that it’s OK to pop their valves willy-nilly because you might invalidate your certified system.

You wouldn’t and I’m pretty sure this is exactly why ASME certified adjustable relief valves don’t exist (as far as I’m aware). I’m not trying to say you aren’t safe, I’m just adding some important context.

4 Likes

They were bought from OSS…idk if it’s certified or not…it absolutely isn’t actually…I don’t need a certified rig

Mine is at home system, you tend to not spend $25k-$50k on rig for the house

3 Likes

Coconut oil dissolves certain rubbers

And its putting contamination into your process path- we all decided that mct oil as a dilutent for inhalant use is a bad idea.

1 Like

Well, does it dissolve nitrile, FKM or PTFE? It’s not like we’re using polypropylene or something for our gaskets. Why don’t you try soaking yours in coconut oil? Also, I believe that the amount of oil leftover on the inner ring of the gasket is negligible, even if the hydrocarbon dissolves it the amount would be so miniscule that it wouldn’t even affect the outcome. It’s not as if it would cut the product like those carts.

Besides, I personally haven’t been using coco oil to grease my gaskets for the past year or 2. And when I did use it, I would dab the tip of my finger with oil and run it along the gasket, then lightly wipe with paper towel to remove excess.

I understand the whole MCT scare but that’s a reach

1 Like

i ordered i few buna-n gaskets i can let one sit in some oil for a bit.

1 Like

yeah, I spent less than 1k for a 120gram cls with a stainless recovery cylinder, vacuum chamber/pump. never get everything in yet, there are some packages lost in Florida that I hopefully will get soon…

1 Like

just thought id ask to see if its a plausible idea.

in order to test the rig for pressure could i just pump some butane in it and go around with a natural gas detector to check for any leaks?

I usually use nitrogen for tight seal or air compressor for just good seal…u get it sealed w nitrogen vapors and u got it locked down tight

2 Likes

Kind of defeats the purpose of doing a pressure test

7 Likes