Solventless THCA Crystallization Rosin

I know of (and have done) the mechanical separation method but I can not find much information on the rosin jar tech (see rosin.ryan om instagram). From the comments he has answered I think he presses at 220° then collects into mason jar, then places in toaster oven at an undisclosed temp for an undisclosed amount of time, (then maybe its stirred and re-sealed?) then it is placed on a clone/heat mat at an undisclosed temp for a couple days. The end result is terpene seperation and THCA Crystals grown just like a solvent extract. Can anyone clarify some of these steps for me?

6 Likes

I believe @diet.funk on instagram breaks it down a bit more on his page and he’s usually real nice with answering questions. Hope that helps!

6 Likes

Would love to see this thread take off. Here is what we currently do: Jar and heat at 120f for 24 hours, stir half way. Then heat pad at 80f for 3 days. Havent achieved full crystallization but were getting close. We do enjoy taking it to 180f for 1 hour. It becomes a beautiful clear soft rosin.

5 Likes

You want to start with live bubble/dry sift to press i believe

been keeping my toaster oven at 185-190f until it liquefied into a clear bubbling liquid. Leave in oven until it cools to about 95f and immediately moved to heat pad, my heat pad controller set at 90f.
I use a 10gallon aquarium with a acrylic lid, with a hydro farm heating mat and temperature control.
Most batches seem to turn into a apple sauce , but a few verities separate and make cloudy soft sugar crystals.
Use tiny jars and keep them 50-60% full. Because they will bubble.
I use parchment paper cut into circles to cover my lids.
Definitely better using hash rosin, as flower rosin seems to applesauce.
I’m seeing some color change in the separation process and for some reason the terp layer gets darker?
Also if I don’t touch or move them they seem to crystallize without clouding up as much? So I’m assuming Agitation isn’t helping?
Im on my 6 batch and definitely want to learn and make sense of what’s actually happening in this process

We create the jam consistency. Crystallization quality that occurs is very strain dependent.

We press 200-210 depending on the strain, this is not critical imo. After all material is pressed it is collected and balled with minimal agitation, pressing straight into the jar would work as well. Either way you are creating layers. Single spec will work better, although is not actually better hash imo.

I recommend leaving 25-50% head space in your container and double lid/make sure it can hold pressure.

I use the highest temp possible for this next step. I set my .9 oven to 260 and then set the jar in there. The idea with the high temp is getting it out from under temp as quick as possible. What you are actually trying to achieve is full melting of all of the hash.

Stage 1 will look like it dried out and muffin. Stage 2 it will slowly start to melt with large bubble formations and cloudiness. Stage 3 cloudy liquid will start to turn clear from the bottom up. Stage 4 timing when you pull it. Stage 1-4 time in the oven depends on how much material you start with. 250g jars can take an hour to an hour and a half. I like to pull as soon as all large bubble formation stop and hash is fully clear. You have gone too far if you only have a small layer of decarb bubbles at the top. I then cold crash in the freezer mostly to cool from high temp. Next day set at room temp till its done.

Spec and strain determine final consistency. I get the best luck with high terpene, terrible hash strains but they make great crystals. Test results usually show 15-30% activated.

I prefer cold cure and whip, to not expose the hash to these temps but the kids like it.

I think the pressure that is created in this process is key, along with not over activating.

8 Likes

No expertise my self just getting into rosin pressing myself only with flower atm, in arkansas by awhile before i have hash to play with. but there are youtube vids popping up one i see that looks good is DIY Live Rosin Sauce (Jar Tech) with Kennnwall - YouTube , seems diet.funk is using same type of rosin press as this video as well.

will the applesauce still be yummy, just not the crystals formations people are looking for?

1 Like

would a process like this work with crude c02 extract?

Cold crash instead of heat pad?

3 Likes