Solvent Research

Hello everyone!

I have really enjoyed reading for quite some time. I finally decided to post. I hope this is the right place and I have indeed searched this topic, but find only pieces of what I would like to discuss.

I see many discussions about solvents, mixes, polar/nonpolar without any connection to the work and methods available for finding ideal solvents.

The historical chemistry starts with the Hildebrand solubility parameter. This was expanded with the Hansen solubility parameters.

The next step is a TEAS plot. Plotting polarity, dispersion, and hydrogen bonding on one graph. Each solvent has a unique set of these three parameters.

You can find individual solvents to find the region of the plot that denotes the solvent parameters for solubility of your material. You can the use mixes in proportions that would bring the average parameters into your region, while the individual solvents would not be. We owe this to the paint and adhesives industry mainly, but it is the way to find the perfect solvent(s).

I see some people working on the scale, quality, and efficiency that this would be worthwhile. It’s not a tremendously hard task and we are realistically limited to a tiny subset of available solvents.

Cheers!

14 Likes

That’s an interesting graph, im curious what all those extra data points are representing though. Welcome brother!

2 Likes

Thank you! Those are just random solvents from someone else’s plot. I just snagged one for illustration.

You just won the award of excellence for the day. Homework time here I come!

7 Likes

I’ve tried to apply HSP to find the ideal solvent mixture for washing THC from CBD but it looked like a lot to cover before I got a point where I’d have a good enough grasp on the subject to try to share my findings. Glad someone with a :spoon: showed up :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That one should be better
The source is super useful also…

https://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v03/bp03-04.html

3 Likes

Ideally you would find the regions for all the possible fractions and there would be a region that worked for the exact components you are looking for. You can then rinse and repeat for the remaining components. Although there will be obvious overlap, there should be lone regions for each component even if they are small. Ideally you figure this out for the materials you don’t want to dissolve as well. Overlaying all the regions of solubility then gives you the regions to target in order to extract the components you are looking for.

3 Likes

One of the challenges would be to know where THC sits on that graph, much less trial a d error tuning your solvent mixture if we knew where abouts our target compounds sits.

There are companies that make software for predicting the HSP of a solvent mixture but the software isnt cheap. I’ve been looking for a free program that has the ability to calculate solvent parameters but have had no such luck. Wouls you happen to know of any tool like that? @NoHeatNoVacuum

1 Like

I can certainly look, but I would end up doing the calculations by hand from the source above or anywhere else. You can plot a large number of solvents and target compounds just from common knowledge. If we just compiled all the information in this forum, we would have a tremendous starting point. The mixes are easy on the Teas plot because everything is normalized. Mixing in proportion affects the properties in proportion. It’s not perfect, but it is very accurate.

6 Likes

From the reference, for reference. There are newer values and software.

1 Like

08.Vila.SCMC3.Mecklenburg.Web.pdf (418.7 KB)

I found the second software mentioned for download. I think I have found the first, but need to play around first or someone who speaks Italian to run that down lol

1 Like

Sperm oil?

Wtf. I’m afraid to Google it, as some bbc would probably pop up at me.

7 Likes

Googles algorithm try’s to populate searches that are similar to things you’ve searched before soooooo

6 Likes

Yeah I threw in some just for fun, others for the more experimental of us.

1 Like

Haa! and how about the foot oil. :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes