Solvent blend

Where i live i can only get cans of butane. Ive been thinking about adding some isobutane to my blend, maybe 20%.

Can anyone give me some insight on the differences etween propane and iso for the purposes of cannabsis extractions?

1 Like

My understanding iso-butane is more selective on the terp selection over n-butane and I believe it pulls less of the darker pigments to. Iā€™m sure someone can verify that part. Also the lower bp of the gas will allow for lower purge temps coupled with propane which has great expansion qualities that helps the purging process. Propane is the most selective of the three I believe and from what I understand is itā€™ll strip away terps more readily than cannabinoids meaning you would need to run more gas to get everything out. This is why people use a combination of the gases. I really want to experiment with iso-butane but I also heard itā€™s carcinogen and more toxic than n-butane

Propane boils off at -44 c
Iso I believe is -11 c
N butane 0c

3 Likes

Does FedEx ship where you live? Maybe itā€™s UPS but u get what Iā€™m sayingā€¦

Bc thatā€™s who brings my big boy tanks!

1 Like

So also id imagine propae and isobutane at v low temps below -50c wont gel up like butane does, sort of tends to become a bit viscous very cold.
Could the blend also be tweaked to ones system depending on residence times and temperatures, id imagine?

Can you please provide background as to where you have read that info on isobutane?

I was really tempted to do a 10/20 percent canned butane with iso but seems i should do more research.

Correct propane definitely wonā€™t gel up like Tane. Iā€™m sure you can adjust the ratio of gases to your desires so it flows more steadily or more slowly at cyro temps and be able to control what you want to pick up and drop out of the extraction. To my understanding though you need to adjust your calculations accordingly for your machine. Since all three gases have different bp points there is going to be expansion of gases and build up of pressure if you decide to use different gases. So your system is good to run 25 lbs of n-tane it doesnā€™t necessarily mean you can run 25 lbs of a combination of gases as the mixture will take up more volume than straight n-tane. I donā€™t know the exact calculations to figure it out at the top of my head but a quick search on here will give you the equations and the properties of the gases so you can calculate how much blended gas your system can hold. To my understanding you want to calculate for 80% of the volume capacity that way you are not pushing your machine to the limit.
Iso-butane Iā€™ve read several reports and articles from on-line. Of the three iso-butane was the only one that had negative health implications and depending on your view of things those tiny health implications may not concern you especially since the amount being consumed in a dab is minuscule. Letā€™s say you use a combo of n-butane, propane, iso butane most likely your slab will have just n-tane since the other have such lower bp they should evaporate out first.

1 Like

At what temp are u making Nbutane gel up?

I run about -78f. I never seen thatā€¦itā€™s water like liquid in my sealed cryo collectionā€¦and when it travels through my material as well

2 Likes

What about molecule size ā€˜pick up preferenceā€™ between the three? Say whihc one is more likely to pick up cholorphyls waxes and etc, which one more the hydrocarbons?

Propane is a shorter carbon chain than butane and and therefore experience lesser van der waala forces and so is less polar and has a lower boiling point. This will pick up more terpenes as well as other strongly nonpolar things.

3 Likes

Run at -80f and maintain that, material,solvent everything, push cryo solvent w nitro! You want really even take the bad, not enough to noticeā€¦ Just the good

Thamn i didnt know you had to push with nitro at that cold. I cant get it to be that cold in Spain its impossible hehe

2 Likes

No dry ice?

1 Like

Oh shit metric confusion thought you said neg80c

Ye i use dryice iso baths, it does wonders for my skin too.

Why push withnitro tho?

Yes, use just isobutane. You donā€™t need to mix it really. I only include (normal) butane to have an easy pour (boiling points). Otherwise I donā€™t use it really. The ratio of iso to normal butane should be heavier on the iso and only 20% or so Ntane. You can order straight tanks from a few places and avoid spending money on cans

2 Likes

And most ā€œcannedā€ are going to contain an assortment of propellants/accelerants in there.

1 Like

its impossible to get solvents willy nilly in spain.
I need to get hold of some iso a give it a go, i remember when i tried it a few years back it sugared all the slabs, a lot of terpenes on it was just hard to make stable shatter with. Great if inttention is separation.

So you say 20% butane / 80% iso still allows for an easy pour leaving some of the solvent that has a higher bp behind?

thanks for help man!

1 Like

I usually have pretty decent results with standard iso. I run it extremely cold and keep the butane in the system for pour off. Every once in a while Iā€™ll have something sugar. Usually fairly stable though

1 Like

Do you think it picks more and with greater ease those desirables than butane?

It actually is the same chemical structure as butane. Just the molecule is a different shape.

2 Likes

I suppose since it also has a lower voiling point than butane, you can reach a higher pressure than butane at a lower temp when in jar to force thca crystalization?

Pressure does not cause crystallization to occur, pressure just forces the crystals to the bottom of the solution. Makes for easier separation of the crystals and the mother liquor.

3 Likes