Sodium Ferrocyanide

I was about to mix up 5 gallons of saturated saline solution for a wash + citric acid degumming with some Walmart house brand “Plain” salt. I noticed Yellow Prussiate of Soda on the ingredients list. Anyone use salt that has this in it? Am I being overly paranoid? I mean it’s just cyanide right?

1 Like

It’s probably better to avoid it if you can, but I don’t think your solution will be acidic enough to liberate HCN.

2 Likes

Thanks @tetramethylsilane

It’d probably be fine to use it since it would stick with the water and the gas would eventually escape. But I’ll just go ahead and get plain old NaCl :slight_smile:

1 Like

got to be a strong mineral acid normally to push HCN out of a ferrocyanide.

like boiling Sulfuric other than that you can eat it though I am not recommending it.

cyanide joins to the hemoglobin in your blood taking the place of oxygen

the iron in ferrocyanide will stop that

acid and ferrocyanide normally make hydroferrocyanide again wont bond to the hemoglobin.

trust me I tried hard to make cyanide from this one I did manage to make it work but it
took quite a bit of heating in conc sulfuric acid.

another note.

cyanosis which when you get your self a good dose of cyanide produces very red lips not blue
like lack of oxygen does.

it also makes the cuticles in your nails bright red.

ive been poisened by the cyclon b it was not fun

antidote is sodium or potassium nitrite injection
or sniffing poppers (amyl nitrite)

5 Likes

Thanks @squig! Maybe one day when I have more destructive time on my hands I’ll try my hand at making some cyanide haha! I was just surprised to see it on the ingredients list of plain salt. I mean, is it really that important to have your salt be anti-caked? They could just sell special GMO rice-dehydrators.

2 Likes

don’t stress there is cyanide everywhere.

even in the food you eat just in low quantities.

apricots peaches and all stone fruit have cyanide in there cores

apple seeds the list goes on

5 Likes

I agree with squig, should be just fine. I’ve performed a few synthesis in my involving cyanide conjugations when making activated resins. You need some pretty harsh conditions.

If you do happen to be doing any kind of reaction and are fearful, if you smell a peanut or almond odor or a similar scent, that’s usually a sign of cyanide off-gassing, so don’t stick around too long.

2 Likes

smoke a cigarette thats what the old timers did and it works.

the smoke taste god awful before you get sick.

that cyanide smell is not too bad

4 Likes

This is sort of a continuation/update. Maybe this should be a separate post?

I reluctantly went ahead and attempted my first ever saline wash with the encouragement from my buddy who swears he has used the same anti-caked salt that I had. I did this by following summit’s spd preprocessing sop.

I prepared:
pH 4 saline
pH 8 saline
Neutral saline

The distilled/de-ionized water started out at 6 so I went ahead and added NaHCO3 (baking soduh) to get it to 7.

I mixed 500ml of allegedly winterized/de-waxed/carbon scrubbed crude with 500ml of Hexane.

One pic was directly after I poured the pH4
The next one is after the big mix.
I then let it separate. Followed up with pH8. Water out of that came back at 7 so neutralization seem to work. However, after 5 washes with pH7 the hexane/oleo layer Increased in opacity.

Could this be due to the anti caking additives? Shitty winteridewaxation? Are the clouds half-cleaved phospholipids/gums that didn’t have enough polar(ized?) surface area to get pulled by the water?

I’m thinking about doing these things to try and hack my way through it:

Freezing the hexane/oleo and filtering to see if it’s retains the jiz clouds.

Will TLC said jiz for cannabinoids

Attempt Another wash with salt that doesn’t have anti caking agents in it. Side note…it’s surprisingly hard to find plain clean bulk salt.

Diamond Crystal Kosher is the only OTC brand I found that supposedly doesn’t have it.

Separate the remaining hexane/oleo into 2 batches. Add more hexane to mix so that it’s 1:4 and attempt another wash.

As my username states, I’m a midlife chemist who has picked up where he left off after 2 semesters of getting A’s in chemistry and siring my first child haha. I studied engineering in college on an ROTC scholarship but dropped out to be a touring fiddle player for the past 20years hah. My brain still works and I would be grateful for some research/learning spoons :slight_smile: another side note…I’m also a software engineer and am open to collaborate on any automation stuff if anyone is interested!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Just in case anyone might be wondering,

I guess the water hadn’t been properly saturated with salt. Everything seems to be working like it should now. Though new information has come to light about this particular batch of crude…it wasn’t fully winterized/dewaxed hence the soothing creamy hue taking its time to leave the situation.

Looking forward to (safely) playing with some Methanol next week. Room temp winterizations sound nice.

2 Likes

username checks out

1 Like

I guess. Looks like I kinda regurgitated my “bio”…forgot I filled that out last year. Regardless of what or if you mean anything by your comment (@juicyj), I’m super grateful for what @Future and the whole og glg have done to catalyze the accelerated progress in the industry for independent folks like myself…and larger companies too but hopefully they’re “good” companies. Whatever…grateful for who they seem to be and what they do…that’s the point.

It’s been a difficult year transitioning from the music world to extraction/business with my new son In the mix. His mom and I are both music industry people, and there’s NO way I would be able to be paying all of the bills like I am at the moment. We’d be kicked out of our house for sure. Her work has completely dried up until next year at the earliest(She’s a badass independent music publicist who usually makes enough to be my low budget sugar momma…now zero) I had planned on joining/buying into the GLG back in March but then all this shitty shit started happening and haven’t had Any cash to spare. I’m certain Im 1 degree of human separation from a lot of people here and I hope we can hang soon!

Until then, ill be getting better at my craft while hustling music on the side…haha I’ll have 0.952380952380952 of the annual individual GLG membership fee after I Record these 4 fiddle tracks for my buddy from near Nevada City in a few hours. Whether it’s the collection of papers/patents on the data dump or some arpeggiatic prodigy bluegrass whippersnapper Parts I need to track…always be learning! Blablabla Epstein didn’t kill himself.

Happy Saturday

1 Like