Soak time BHO

how do you run 10 to 1 with a large column? are you recovering at the same time? I have a 12x 12 collection but its maxed out at one tank of tane. I do havve a pump so i guess i can run it but wont i be moving nitrogen into the recovery? Or do I just burp it and accept that some notrogen is moving and then do a final purge with a cold recovery tank?

I don’t soak at all on my dry runs. Fill her up, then dump her. On FF, I’ll fill her up, let her sit for 5 mins, then dump her. :call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Why soak fresh frozen? The cannabinoid % is so much lower than dry material

1 Like

Since your dealing with FF being cold already, it’s less likely to leach Chlorophyll into the product. It’ll allow you to get a bigger pull since the % are already low to begin with when dealing with high moisture content.

2 Likes

For the record, we just had several “too thin” crashes.

HPLC reports 30% decarb.

That was the INPUT.

Not relevant to fresh frozen unless you’ve done something horribly wrong…

In my case it was uncontrolled drying room temps.

Wrecked the weed.

So they hand it to me…

9 Likes

How hot are we talking?

Tale as old as time. Extraction seems to be the route biomass goes when the biomass is bunk somehow. It’s sad, really

4 Likes

Dunno. The tech running the HPLC was working at grow site at the time. I can ask.

We weren’t particularly surprised at the results, but without someone to connect the two, and in house analytics, we’d be waving our hands around. We’ve got date stamps. And an eye witness :shushing_face:

“Brutal” was the way he put it.

Guessing 110F possibly higher. Doubt they had thermometers.

5 Likes

Wow, could you imagine losing your crop because your dry room fried it? Thats the first time I’ve even heard of that happening to someone.

Sooooo much lost revenue. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

im using the precision x40 with vacuum jaketed columns. i chill the bio to -82 and blast my solvent when it hits -50, i soak for 9 mins with a 70/30 mix of n butane and propane then do a flush right after, no soak just a rinse. do you think i would be getting a lot of fats like this? i don’t, but the company i work for that don’t know anything about cannabis at all don’t believe me and hired an “expert” to critique my process and he seems to think I’m pulling to many fats and waxes

2 Likes

You don’t have to guess. Take 100 grams of your extract and dissolve 8:1 ethanol:oil. Put it in on dry ice in a stainless vessel and see how much crashes out after 36h. Filter fats out, dry in vacuum oven then weigh the dry fats/lipids.

7 Likes

Still sold decently as flower. But once the unsellable small buds and trim were to be extracted we found that issue.

1 Like

tbh we have had no issues with this up until a larger corporation bought us out. thanks, that’s a great idea! i have magnesol as well I could grab excess fats with if necessary. the real issue stems from us getting hit by the medusa stone issue at the same time we were attempting to chill the columns to -70 instead of vacuuming them. fast crashing plugged all the columns and I went from running 200 kg a day to 20 or 30. so I pulled the plug on the whole chill the columns thing as it was never an issue for the 2 years prior to us being purchased. we also had close to 70% of market share for extracts at the time. the new company just sends the absolute worst bio I have ever seen and could careless what my input on the matter is…beyond frustrating!!

best comment here, only becasue i do the same thing!

1 Like

I extract the same way on my Precision except I blast at -65. Some strains have fat in the oil, some don’t. I’ve never dissolved the oil in ethanol to get a full answer, I just know what strains are consistently fatty and consistently clean and how the oil likes to settle out. The fatty stuff I whip into budders and usually go for sugars/diamonds on the non fatty oil. Any time you have butane in the mix, it’s hard to keep the fats out

Same compliant as these folks…

So I’ll ask again…

How would you demonstrate the fat content (or lack thereof)?

Edit: I see now that spoon has been presented. Thanks @MWCanna

2 Likes

Paraphrasing to make sure this sinks in.

Follow the cannabinoids not the cadabinoids

Blowing gently gives less hash, and better hash…but if you want it ALL you get more unwanteds as well.

10 Likes

Fatty dabs bruh

3 Likes

In the end, properly dialing in your SOP will take analytics and be dependent on your personal equipment and parameters.

All rules of thumb are models in the sense that all are wrong but some are useful.

Test your raffinate (biomass), and determine the maximum THC you’re willing to leave behind to achieve the minimum quality you demand

6 Likes

im going to take a sample and winterize it. i reached out to the “experts” and asked them for target ranges before i do so. of course they had no response because they don’t have an answer to give. some strains produce more fats than others, of course! case in point, Sundea Driver i always get fats from instead of changing the whole process i use magnesol in my CRC. there’s some weird politics going on with the company and a massive lack of understanding about what we do. super frustrating.

4 Likes