So I made a thing to decarb with

I’m using a cheap shitty PRV. Honestly, I’m not too worried about it, as I’m only using it at round 20-30 psi or so. I’m really hoping to make it buy an adjustable check valve, so I can essentially set a PSI that would be maintained throughout the process. But I’m just a guy at home doing this on a hobby budget as this stuff makes me no money…if I could afford an inconel valve with a stellite cladded seat I’d be all over it lol

3 Likes

I pulled a vacuum, purged with 20psi of nitrogen, pulled a vacuum and purged with 7 psi of nitrogen, then valves it off. I put it in the oven at 240 for 80 minutes. It only partially decarbed. The terps retained were close enough to the original that I couldnt tell a difference. I’m going to put a sample in and put it in the oven for 2 plus hours and try to get the decarb technique dialed in.

Edit - I am currently more interested in the intert atmosphere than using it to create a lot of pressure. I doubt the vessel will ever see over 50psi, so the PRV is more out of habit than anything. But, Photon mentioned on my IG that pressure will promote some isomerization. He also hooked up the calcs for head space…that dude is one bright MFer.

15 Likes

He is indeed :smiley: Wizard of wizards
Good job :pray:

4 Likes

in the second instance, they looked to have been burst testing a 3" pipe, which didn’t happen at 200PSI…

1 Like

They have multiplied. Just need to get a better PRV for the second one

Anyway… I’m slow moving, but hopefully will be decarbing another batch here shortly. I will be extending the decarb time, as I got a partial decarb previously but the flavor maintained was quite promising.

I’ve got a lot of work coming up and a good portion of it will end up being decarbrd in this for vapes. So at some point my dumb ass will be able to yield something of value in regard to terp preservation.

12 Likes

I’ve also had success with this type of tek! I placed a jar of terpy sugar in a collection pot, sealed it off, pulled a vacuum, and inserted a neutral atmosphere of nitrogen (just brought it from -30 to 0, with n2), and placed in the oven at 165f for 24 hours. It had all melted and clarified and I put it into carts and it tasted like a fat terpy dab.

14 Likes

That is my experience as well. Glad more people have had success with this…im on the right path

6 Likes

How much you gonna want for that extra one?

7 Likes

fwiw, I also do a similar tech.

I use the retail 5 and 7ml gram jars with ptfe lid. load up with a ml or two of oil place in vac oven for 24-72H @ 130-140f depending on terp amount and previous decarb levels. The co2 will bubble out once the lid is taken off kinda like when you super heat water without it boiling until you add a nucleation point but not as violent, just gotta stir to get it out. Im not shooting for full decarb just enough to prevent larger sugars forming to clog up intakes on carts.

3 Likes

light bulb tek

14 Likes

Sounds awesome. Can you elaborate some on what you used for the sealed vessel? Do you know what it’s volume was? And the mass of sugar that was in there? Sorry for all the questions, I would love to be able to do a rough headspace pressure calculation. @TwistedStill too

1 Like

Certainly. The only other vessel I had was a 10" diameter collection pot, I apologize as I don’t remember the height, but it was probably about 12" tall. I put small jars (open) with 10g of desired oil. I also played around with different ratios of terps:crystals (all in 10g increments in their own respective jars), though never got enough testing done to come to a conclusion. @Pneuma

2 Likes

Got the adjustable PRV, have it set to 50psi…set using a pressure regulator. Tossed in 50gs of gello BHO from a recent run. Vacuumed down the vessel. Purged with nitrogen, and pressurized to 45 psi. Got it decarbing on the hot plate.

Thinking of letting it sit on the hot plate for 2.5 hr for decarb

8 Likes

16 Likes

You’re a fucking rockstar. That thing is a Monet - Nice work!

2 Likes

I will say…the thermal mass of the unit is quite nice for my basic bitch cart filling tek. Keeps my oil warm long enough to fill 50 without noticing a temp drop.

I did notice the PRV venting occasionally…my nose told me so.

I did make this, but I think this thread is less about that, and more about terp preservation. Also…i just got a phone that has a camera again so apparently I take more pictures now?

The carts I make with this using straight BHO, taste wonderful. You can do this with tri clamps…no fancy machining necessary.

9 Likes

Every time I saw the headline I thought of the meme. I had to

5 Likes

@TwistedStill - its a great idea; I’m wondering (in my tiny peanut brain) if there’s off the shelf equipment from beer/wine mfg (or?) that would accommodate more head space for a larger batch ?

2 Likes

Your always welcome to meme my friend.

2 Likes

Any reaction that has a phase change from solid or liquid to gaseous will be affected by pressure.
Because decarbing involves the liberation of CO2 in the gaseous phase, increasing pressure will slow the reaction.
At a high enough pressure, it would probably be possible to carboxylate THC.
This gets complicated because of the critical properties of CO2 but is correct in concept.
As I remember this is Le’Chatilers principle.
I think decarbing under moderate pressure to surpress terpene evolution is a good deal.
The reaction would probably go the other way at 1000 atmospheres.

5 Likes