So extracting hemp is illegal now? Am I comprehending this correctly?

If one were to start with compliant CBD isolate and convert. Then turn around and make those products into compliant retail products, I believe that is where the gray area is. If there was no proof that the d8 produced was non compliant, it would be tricky to prove that those resultant retail products were “marijuana”.

1 Like

Dilution is the solution for WIP

This is the particular language that’s a problem

United States v. Sand.pdf (187.7 KB)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/uscode.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=18-USC-1365114951-1416646246&term_occur=999&term_src=title:18:part:I:chapter:11B:section:229F

2 Likes

The Sands case would have applied, as the intermediate precursor to the conversions we all know and love is D9, but for the AIA of 2018. The CSA and all subsequent amendments are to be disregarded for anything derived from hemp.

2 Likes

There’s zero language protecting WIP or conversions that have d9 as an intermediate precursor

There is no need for such language, as the Farm Bill’s operative clause prevents DEA regulation and enforcement in this field (which has been fully preempted by Congress and the USDA). The DC Circuit, in the case originally discussed, stated quite plainly there was neither injury nor controversy. The Petitioner’s initial brief failed to adequately articulate the argument; DEA lacks authority to regulate hemp, and it is clearly erroneous for any Court of competent jurisdiction to interpret the Farm Bill as DEA describes. Affording DEA authority to regulate hemp post-extraction, where such extract passes, however slightly or temporarily, the 0.3% THC threshold to be considered marijuana, would effectively repeal and completely thwart the intent of Congress to legalize hemp, the processing thereof, and the manufacture of products derived therefrom.

I must respectfully disagree.

5 Likes

I don’t think the DEA regulates poppies either until you start making opium…

3 Likes

I appreciate how well articulated both arguments are. Obviously we know which side of the coin benefits us, but at this point I feel like a landmark case is what will be required to give the legal precedent as to which side of the coin is effectively “legal”. This will be interesting, but I pity the company that is successful enough to be the poster child of such landmark case.

6 Likes

The most confusing bit to me is how the high THCa “hemp” guys are operating without much trouble. I guess Adam flowers/the farmers market was similar for a couple years

Question to no one in particular:

CBG conversions should still be fair game, no? Iirc certain CBG strains can be extracted to be <.3% THC with no remediation

1 Like

How do you dilute your mother liquor while in process? Sure, you can dilute it afterwards, but if they walk through your door at the wrong time, you’re screwed. Then there’s “on a dry weight basis”. To me that says they can remove your dilution solvent and then test.

Shit loads of pentane

Awesome, can you share the secret as to how to dump pentane in to the process at a rate that keeps you compliant and doesn’t stop precipitation? Don’t forget, dry weight basis, so at any point in the process, you must be below .3% AFTER your pentane is completely evaporated.

2 Likes

I would love to know what conversions are done using CBG!

You’ll see it

I highly doubt it.

What you will see is no banks fuck with you. I am working with the state of Oregon and apparently despite being legal in the state and having all the Liscenses the state didn’t follow the farm bill exactly and that means federally anyone in Oregon doing hemp was illegal for the last 5 years and not eligible for any programs they receive federal funding for. They will make a exception if you fucked with flower. But oil makes you untouchable and it has to do with it being federally illegal to make cbd isolate and it being a patent infringement. I couldn’t get exactly what the issues are because I contacted my congressman and they agree with me and they don’t understand it. But the fda is the agency who the state says is the reason it’s illegal. Now this isn’t the hemp dept. They have no clue.
This is business Oregon and any nonprofit that helps you with startups with grants or loans.
Like we’re the most toxic people in a room full of bankers and loan officers.
My tax returns were predominantly from selling hemp flower which gets me out of the loop. Lucky me. But anyone is subject to a big fucking nightmare at anytime in this industry and that thing just confirms it. Now it is a thing that always existed, but now is enforced. And that’s to eradicate most of the hemp industry and all outside money flowing into it because hemp businesses will be the top tier rec farms and producers when federal legalization happens. Right now they are turning the tide on all the pioneers who trudged through this the last years and did all the market research on product development.

4 Likes

If you need any help with banking I can help.

5 Likes

that’s heavily dependent on regulatory schemes

toe to toe, unrestricted - weed’ll always win. Just a question of how quick the race to the bottom is

1 Like

Hemp is global, I am talking about legal markets. US only has 300m people and half of them have access to legal cannabis. I will take billions of people over 150million people any day.

2 Likes