Smoking cannabis associated with increased risk of heart attack, stroke?

It mentioned the released toxins of burning cannabis will increase the risk of heart attack, so the point is the consuming way “smoking”, not “cannabis”?

2 Likes

If you regularly inhale smoke (from any source) you are likely at an increased risk compared to baseline.

But how does that increase in risk compare to say, eating a highly fatty diet, sedentary lifestyle, overly consuming sugar, genetic risk factors etc.? I would say far less.

3 Likes

Being sendentary I would say is top slot followed by genetic.

1 Like

This is why I dab

Y’all remember Auto tune the news? Smoking lettuce?

“It’s not the nicotine that kills, it’s the smoOoOoOoke”

14 fucking years ago.

2 Likes

I don’t know about these things. But I do know that this study also accounted for: age, sex, race, BMI, obesity, diabetes, physical activity levels, and socioeconomic status. They also normalized for non-smoked cannabis (vaping and edibles), there are other numbers for that if you want to look at them. There is still a marked increase.

This is the third study in the last two years that has used large data sets to draw a correlation between cannabis usage and cardiovascular changes which could lead to heart attack/stroke.

I think its a bit funny that people disregard the science here. Cannabis smoking and vaping makes you cough. This is an impact of the cardiovascular system. Its a vasodilator - which impacts your cardiovascular system. We don’t have to wonder about this - we can physically see this effect in basically every human that consumes cannabis (smoked or vaped doesn’t seem to matter much).

We also know that its impact on our ECS includes some pretty cool things like lowering blood pressure (impact on cardiovascular system, which can also lead to strokes) and can both increase or decrease anxiety based on the human consuming it (which can also lead to heart attacks).

Knowing all that stuff - some are still looking at this new study of over 400,000 adults in the US and being like…doesn’t seem legit to me, must be something other than the cannabis.

But really - even with edibles we see this. The headline and the summary article are misleading (they seem to be lumping it in with tobacco…which is just kind of silly, IMO).

The cool part about this to me - is that people are actually looking at cannabis in a different way. Spending the $$$ to do the work, in ways they were not doing 20 years ago.

I love it. I’m glad they are doing the work. I’m glad they are seeing correlations. That will lead to some pure science hypotheses which might help us understand the endocannabinoid system better. Might make better drugs. Might help us understand more of the minor cannabinoids better.

So much more can happen - every time one of these journals is published. :smiley:

3 Likes