Smokenol patent. What is it?

Anyone here bitching about an exo-thermic reaction, pretty much just oxidation/(dehydrogenation) better be bitching as hard about thc-o etc. Lots of fuckery going on in here. Fuck is wrong with you guys. Lots of misplaced hate. Profound Naturals is not the enemy. Pffft. Buncha hypos.

1 Like

Combustion isn’t just “an exothermic reaction”. It’s like making a conversion with crude and catalyst and not bothering with the cleanup… you’re reacting everything present uncontrollably and then collecting it all.

Selectivity is not a prerequisite for a reaction. Just because you couldn’t appropriately clean up the reaction post process dosent mean they can’t. I’m unsure how many conversions you’ve done or participated in, but side reactions happen ALL THE TIME. This industry is plagued with hotdog water. I think I trust the PHD from an ivy(not saying that’s EVERYTHING) a little more than you jamokes

1 Like

just not seeing where looking for something magic in the smoke to explain the difference between inhaled vs ingested makes any sense when we have solid data on what the liver does to ingested cannabinoids.

pyrolyized CBD isolate.
created 78 “known cannabinoids/isomers…some of which might be inactive”.

there may well be useful stuff there, but “here, try all 78 at once and see what happens” doesn’t strike me as good science.

isolate them and try one at a time? sure.

some of them may be inactive (we don’t know), also implies: “we don’t know that none of them are toxic”.

does “vaping” make the all 78? or even 1/2 of them? dunno. worth exploring before deciding “must be because they set it on fire!” is the defining difference.

“Hey look, during pyrolysis we get a cannabinoid that the liver can’t alter” would indeed be news…once you could actually point at that cannabinoid rather than a swarm of new peaks on your chromatogram. synthesizing that cannabinoid as a soup using fire and claiming “we got this!” seems premature.

edit: I will give you that actually setting flower on fire does have a qualitatively different effect that vaporizing concentrate. actual data on the quantitative differences (which they don’t mention having) between those two might be informative.

9 Likes

I know it’s not this, but it’s a pretty funny idea to be like “can we patent cannabis smoke?”.

I’m going to patent protein shake farts and take some lawyers to gyms around town.

3 Likes

That fact that you posed so many questions, makes me more interested in her work than hydrogenating cannabinoids when that NEVER happens naturally.

The liver and high heat actually do a lot of the same TYPE of work. Our body metabolise and oxidizes things just like a reaction. Finding out more information on the phyto cannabinoids, produced by smoke, so that we may INGEST them without pyrolization/carbon/smoke is great.

In my opinion it is good work, and you can’t hate someone for trying to protect their IP.

Sometimes some of the best ideas, are born from the most simple principles.

4 Likes

right up until “here, eat this…”

I can. I usually don’t. given how much is about whose shoulders you’re standing on, and who you interacted with while thinking about it, “my idea!” is not a trivial sell imo.

if they have ID’d the single magical component, and have isolated it, and are merely obfuscating with the “78 new peaks”, then sure. if they’ve got no clue yet, and are simply making magic soup, then the product is premature

5 Likes

“78 new products” :sweat_smile: bust out the crisco it’s a party.

2 Likes

The answer is no… aerosols generated by vaping do not have these compounds, at least not when lower temps are used.

“The GC/MS analysis showed that the gas phase of the vapor consisted overwhelmingly of cannabinoids, with trace amounts of three other compounds. In contrast, over 111 compounds were identified in the combusted smoke, including several known PAHs.”

5 Likes

They not be “phyto” unless they are found in the plant.

I also heard “natural cannabinoids” in there somewhere. Which throws a huge red flag for me.

I only recognize two kinds of folks who (absolutely) equate “natural” with “good for you”, idiots and liars.

By all accounts, “nature” is gearing up to take us out for setting shit on fire in those infernal combustion engines and not considering the smoke.

Gonna have to back pedal just a little on this one. :shushing_face:

“Here, eat this” really has been a primary tool in our exploration of our condition….

Really could not know sooo much of what we know if some motherfucker didn’t “eat that shit and be sure…”

4 Likes

I mean, that’s how we eventually figured out which mushrooms were totally nebular and which ones killed you….

2 Likes

All mushrooms are edible, some only once

12 Likes

Off topic, but my favorite “fuck around and find out” guinea pig was Col. John Paul Stapp. He decided to put his body on the line to test G forces and pilot safety equipment in a rocket sled over and over and over again in the 1950s.

4 Likes

So smart she said cbn is made by dehydration lol idgaf about a PhD especially when they can’t even use the correct term to describe how a cannabinoid is made. And then on top of it trying to teach the wrong thing to people. That’s even more hilarious coming from a PhD

Symantics?

I think not

One is removing water the other is removing hydrogen big difference especially when you actually know wtf you’re talking about

I find it funny you make comments like the first quote above then wanna blame symantics, how is it that someone as dumb as me knows the difference but a PhD doesn’t :joy:

I have a PhD anyways

Pot Head Degree

Hands on > a fucking certificate any day

Atleast I know the difference between dehydrogenation and dehydration

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I can’t even take the time to explain why you look like an idiot.

7 Likes

Because you’re the idiot claiming symantics when there’s a big difference between dehydrogenation and dehydration

Please show me where you remove a water molecule from thc to make cbn

You gotta be kidding me… I will dehydrate some material with a fucking bic lighter and make cbn. Want to bet? Or do you want to argue symantics?

Either way 11-hydroxy-THC is being formed when d9-THC is eaten, whether it be pre-combusted or not. This metabolite is what is assumed to be responsible for the difference in highs.

Claiming there are other compounds being formed in the combustion process that are going to override this metabolite’s effect is very bold.

I will be interested to see if it really works, if so, I wonder if they already know what that compound is?

5 Likes

If so, why not just add that one? Maybe they are obfuscating the identity? If so, they are doing so by inclusion of many undesirables.

1 Like

I don’t think their claim is to ‘override’ the 11-hydroxy-THC effect so much as to modulate/add to it by the addition of [not one compound but tens of them, whether or not they have the ability or care to name it/them]. like a ‘full[er]-spectrum’ or ‘entourage’ kind of idea. works for the marketing of ‘full-spectrum’ products all day.
and is this modulation of effect not within the realm of possibility? it’s clear that smoking vs. vaping make for noticeably different highs. barring the added effects of actual smoke inhalation, isn’t it possible these randomly generated compounds are the reason fot that?

also, it’s really interesting to me that there appears to be less concern voiced on this thread about the very common ‘actual smoking and inhalation’ route of absorbing these ‘unknown/undesirables’, vs. consumption (ingestion or otherwise) of these same unknown/undesirables via their patented method.

what’s different? what makes these random pyrolysis-generated unknowns ‘undesirable’ when you get them via their method, and ‘desirable’ or ‘acceptable’ when you get them via smoking a joint?
(i mean this question less as a challenge than ‘help me understand the concern with this vs. straight smoking’)

3 Likes