Smoke Damage and Extraction

i remember getting some bags that tasted and smelt of bonfires without being exposed to fires. god knows what nutes they were feeding it

1 Like

OG Smoke Dog and Super Sulfur Haze.

8 Likes

This one is gold

1 Like

So take the harvest to distillate and use @MediaBros tek to remove the shitty sulphur haze?

Plenty of bbq sm-ash gonna hit the streets real soon

1 Like

Market that to the people in the foodie thread talking about infusing their smoked meats, and you could maybe make something out of it. Haha. :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::nauseated_face:

7 Likes

Lolā€¦ is medicated bacon still a thing?

3 Likes

bacon is medicine

13 Likes

Natural flavorsā€¦

3 Likes

ā€œwith added manzanita and salalā€

Yay rain!!

The lightning strikes that looked to between me and the highway I could have done without.

Yes! Please share any and all data you have on your magic dirt. It might not solve everybodies problem, but we wonā€™t know until you can share and others can test/verify.

There are probably at least two remediation issues here, product that was in smoke for days, and product that either directly or as drift was doused in fire retardants.

I would guess they might require different remediation strategies.

Iā€™d also posit the existence of multiple possible retardants across jurisdictions.

Not every fire is being fought in the same manner.

7 Likes

Hey all,

Before we get too deep, I wanted to put out a general PSA kind of notice re. smoke damage.

Thereā€™s a chemical difference between biomass that has been exposed to smoke vs. biomass that has been exposed to smoke and then heat. Biomass affected by smoke has been contaminated by everything from creosotes to polyalcohols. But consider; in large part the the plant is a fairly resilient and stable object, thanks to durable cell walls and its general composition of fairly stable cannabinoids. Terpenes present a different problem, especially in the lighter volatile bouquet, but in large part some are still relatively resilient under the conditions of ambient smoke contamination. Smoke at ambient temperatures is mostly particulate matter. Smoke at heat is particulates plus gasses, especially at the heat source. So itā€™s particulate vs. particulate + gasses.

Once smoke, whether at the fire source, or later as deposited particulate matter on the biomass is heated, thatā€™s when things come alive - so to speak - chemically. The lighter volatiles in the biomass will will begin to interact in a chemical process. The warmer the temperatures becomes the more intense those chemical interactions become. Essentially, smoke particles become active with heat and interact with the biomassā€™ compounds on a chemical level.

Itā€™s likely that if you have biomass that has been affected by smoke and are thinking of harvesting and curing your biomass, you might want to pump the brakes on that thought. Wait. You could be locking in and changing permanently chemical attributes that will require further refinement to remediate. If you must harvest, the best way to prevent further damage might be to fresh freeze your biomass. Curing it will likely induce a temperature sensitive reaction.

Weā€™re working through a ā€œguideā€ of sorts to help people out, and weā€™ll work on it over the weekend. Iā€™m lucky that we have some incredible brain power behind us, and we plan on sharing what we can in the best & sourced way. Until that time, use your own judgement and experience to determine what works best for your business.

3 Likes

Thanks for this @MediaBros ive been a farmer far longer than an extractor and all these fires have really put a twist on this years crop. Im gonna watch this thread carefully because i have a big garden to harvest and i dont want it more screwed up than they already are from the fires. If you have media for crc that actually helps with smoke damage ill be buying some from you lol. From just what i read it might be smart to fresh freeze right away so we will see how this goes :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Suggest OR and CA are exporting smokeā€¦

Maybe someone should tell @TheFeds?

3 Likes

Silica and alumina

1 Like

That was a really respectful move to ask :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Some people grow to a scale where somethingā€™s are made impossible lazy or not

2 Likes

If you are at a larger scale than simply hire peopleā€¦ would you rather put out a low grade product?

Havenā€™t you been paying attention?

Heā€™d rather build a robot arm :joy:

Edit: @anon16547145 can that thing hold a pair of scissors yet? Hand Trimming Speed

1 Like

I saw one of these at mjbizcon. The owner of the robot factory said he can build an auto trimmer with a pair of robot arms, ai and eyes. It could learn from trimmers and itself. It would eventually realize the only way it can save the human race is by destroying it.

The roi is hard to justify when every damn wook in the world will trim for $12 an hour.

4 Likes