Small Time Build (smol boi)

I’m a poor boy on a budget but I realize there are certain corners not worth cutting. I’m done with mystery oil and open blasting (I know 2012 called). Life happened and put my plans on hold for a few years. I’m just a personal small time guy. Long story short I know I need a .5-1 lb. cls, distill my tane, jacket material, dry ice, otss diamonds, get with the program yadda yadda. I’m in the “one piece at a time” boat due to financial reasons ( I never have 1k to spend more like a hundred or 2) but I’m willing to spread this out starting with essentials to be able to recover and distill my gas. (Might tap the whip it cans i already have the first time) will eventually get a proper tank. So I wanna do a 1lb system but not fill it all the way. I have a few questions I couldn’t find definitive answers via search hopefully I don’t seem too dumb. I have read a lot and I understand many aspects.

1. Is a domed lid necessary for a 6 inch collection pot?
  2. Is 2 sight glasses (any sight glass) on collection really that useful If I’m using a scale anyway?
  3. Do I really need the spensive sight glasses? welded? “peer reviewed”?
  4. Tri blend vs n-butane with passive recovery, which is easiest for n00b? I realize theres pros and cons
  5. Can I get by for a few runs without a mol sieve/inline filter drier? If i get a hvac inline filter drier liike bvv now sells, are those things safe and clean? How long will it last? How will I know it needs replaced?
  6. is 1/4" hoses ok or will I regret not getting 1/2"?
  7. Is compression really that much better than npt? I’m good at taping/rectorseal and know the deal.
  8. Dry ice is expensive and hard to get…Do I just suck it up or mess around with ice and salt?
  9. I think I like Viton or ptfe envelope gaskets the best. Does it even matter so much on a small system?
  10. Is storing recovered tane in a mastercool 6lb steel tank acceptable? (see q 5 on drier)
  11. Is reynolds brand parchment leaching silicone and is ptfe sheets dee way? I know I could skip that for diamond jars etc
  12. 5:1 solvent ratio even with dry ice in the mix?
  13. sorry for being a needy nerd bitch, I love you guys and hella respect this community. I want to buy what i can from @killa12345 however his preassembled systems dont really match some of these things. Can he do customization or make recommendations on what works best here?
  1. domed lids arent necessary on smaller systems like this. Its nicer and they can allow you to go to higher pressures but the flat one will get you to the same place for $30 cheaper.

2. Sight glass on the collection should be there… can you get away without it. Yes. Will it make your job a bit harder. Yes.

3. i would only use borosilicate sight glasses. We dont offer any in lexan like other companies.

4. Nbutane is always the easiest, least pressure.

5. Get a sieve or constantly throw away gas due to moisture in the gas

6. 1/4" is fine on this size. you can always upgrade to 3/8 for a few dollars a valve and fitting.

7. Compression is very nice

8. dry ice is pretty necassary. call up welding stores… they have it cheap sometimes.

9. Use either…

10. I would just store in a stainless solvent tank.

11. Costco parchment is good and cheap

12. 5:1 is minumum. 10:1 for CRC

13. I can customize anything

7 Likes

no a domed lid is not necessary. sight glasses are definitely helpful especially when your new. they don’t have to be top of the line but the should be rated to at least 150psi if your running pure butane higher with propane. blends are pretty inconsistent i would suggest straight n-tane. yeah you can get away with not using a mol sieve especially if your running cured material, that being said, dealing with water/ice in your system is not fun so id add one asap. for that size system 1/4" is totally fine. yes compression really is that much better but lots of people still run npt with few issues if any. drice is worth it, unless you want to get a chiller but sounds like that is too big of an upfront cost. i like ptfe envelope, heard good things about gylon. any time any vessel is going to be holding pressure it’s important to make sure all your gaskets are in good working condition and that they are compatible with whatever solvent/solvents your working with

1 Like

Are these usable before I get a mol sieve? How do i know when its spent?

I’d only use something like that after my sieve and before a recovery pump when using one. Or on your vacuum line to save your pump but I don’t think that is sufficient for drying the moisture from multiple runs or even one

2 Likes

When you say store gas in stainless steel. Do you mean an expensive DOT approved tank or a recovery spool with valves?

I can’t remember where, but read they can handle about 20# of solvent before needing changed

If you dry your material till it’s crispy, i find those little ones work well enough for little rigs.

@digitaldave11 pretty sure killa is talking about a spool with a lid, valves, and a dip tube

Like this

So I’ll build a mol sieve. Is a 1.5x12 column too small for that (I have an extra sitting around). Do you have to mount a sieve on something? can you just let it float inline before recovery tank?