Small Scale Separation of Chlorophyll/THC from Hemp Extract

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong category, just got on here. I am interested in making CBD isolate from my hemp extract. I used “Bob’s Red Mill Protein Powder” hemp. Currently, I am waiting for my solvent to evaporate from my gold colored solution.

I have some chemistry experience and would consider myself an amateur chemist. I also have access to a good amount of glassware.

My question is: How would I go about crystallizing some pure CBD isolate?

I read that it is possible to use paper chromatography on a small scale to purify an impure hemp extract. (You basically just put a small amount of your more dilute extract on a piece of filter paper and hang the filter paper over more solvent. As the solvent rises up the filter paper because of capillary action, the more soluble components rise further. I would then cut out the portion of the paper containing the pure CBD and dip the paper in more solvent and evaporate the solvent to get crystals)

I also watched that video on YouTube of the guy using column chromatography in a vacuum. (Endoca CBD or something is the name of the channel.) In the video he says the CBD comes out first, but I think this is wrong or he is using a special reversed phase silica gel. I’m not sure if this would be useful for the small scale I am working on though.

Finally, I read that activated charcoal can filter out the chlorophyll and other impurities. Maybe I could use a chromatography column, add a bit of activated charcoal instead of stationary phase, filter the extract, and evaporate it?

Thank,
untitled

Youre extracting cbd from protein powder?

There’s no CBD in hemp protein powder

You need biomass.

1 Like