Small scale home extraction set up questions

A 2l Rotovap is a much better tool for the task.

If you can find a used circulating aspirator, they’re not unreasonable for your use case.

However, you can buy a $20 aspirator and a pump, and throw them on a reservoir (thrift store cooler?) and get the same functionality for a lot less $

@tweedledew and I attempted to get an aspirator working off an AC=> chiller hack, but didn’t have enough pump laying around to make it work.

1 Like

I get what you are suggesting but I don’t have the time or inclination to put one together. I liked this particular model because it also has a vacuum that will suffice for what is needed (I think). I can live with $153 the one for $429 is another story

Thanks for the suggestion!!

1 Like

Literally hook this up to a pump

https://www.amazon.com/Humboldt-H-12020-Aspirator-Filter-Pump/dp/B00F64HS1E

https://www.amazon.com/AQQA-265-800GPH-Submersible-Aquarium-265GPH/dp/B08F7HR2Z6

Done for $50

Edit: and for $159 solved in a box at your door? Absolutely.

3 Likes

See: Help on vacuum.pump for rotovap for another opinion on Chinese recirc vacuum “pumps”.

The water gets hot….

1 Like

That is for certain one of the issues that I can foresee going in this direction. With the water reservoir being 15L I am hoping to attack that issue with ice. With the Source ExtractCraft I had to keep a block of ice in a container on the lid to condense ethanol vapors that collected. I used cottage cheese containers to freeze multiple blocks to be used for that purpose. I guess my thinking is several of those in the reservoir might work. If not… I guess I will have to invest in a chiller that I should probably already have for other uses

Edit: Several of the videos I have watched about this model water circulator do talk about the water heating up. They say that the circulator will handle a 2L Roto Vap but not to even try the 5L.

2 Likes

I have the Vevor pump you linked and it works fine on a 2L roto, probably the same as the BVV one for 1/3 the price. Best when used with a fresh water source/drain hooked up, I ran it to/from a sink. I tried using ice packs and swapping them when they thaw but it heats up the water a lot.

2 Likes

I use a cheap china made RotoVape and it works awesome. I have that water and vac pump, but I use my chiller instead.