Small Scale ETOH Production Question

Hello, had a quick question in regards to some small scale ETOH production. Does anyone know of a system small enough to run 5-10lbs a time (max 100lbs/week) that is C1D2 rated and also closed loop to comply with state regulations?

Hoping to avoid a large centrifuge and FFE to satisfy the “closed loop” requirement in place by the state.

Thanks

I think there’s a CUP5 now for exactly that kind of scale and purpose

2 Likes

Edit you need to contact them for a quote.

You’d still need an ffe

1 Like

Why not use a closed loop for it

2 Likes

We do plan to run most of our weekly biomass through a MiniMEP, but wanted to dedicated some throughput to ethanol for making some tinctures and edibles

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

IMO, You’re overthinking this one. Just get another collection vessel for your MEP and a FFE.

You can dedicate a vessel for winterizing runs meant for edibles, tincs and topicals. Dip tubes 1 to pull the etoh in from a vessel and another dip tube to be used to pull the etoh through a filter setup and into the FFE?

100% not in the industry i’m just tossing in my 2 cents maybe someone else should chime in on this…

wait wait bad idea…I take it you’re trying to have something entirely separate just for that process of making edibles, tincs and topicals while having the mep being ran at the same time not to have a downtime.

1 Like

Correct, looking to have the two seperate so we can run the miniMEP for solely live resin, and the ETOH for edibles. Im leaning towards the Cup5 system, but still have to find a way around recovering the ETOH. I just cant justify a FFE at this small of a scale, unless anyone knows of a super small one. Im trying to get in contact with the state to see if I could just use the keg that the Cup5 drains into as a “solvent vessel” for a rotovap therefore still staying “closed loop” if that makes sense.

That’s how I would do it: centrifuge to filtration system (2-4 stage),then to a storage tank with a dip tube connected to rotovap inlet. It’s a closed loop including the rotovap, nothing leaves the system until the solvent is mostly recovered just like any other CLS.

1 Like

Or… you could gust get another cls entirely and skip the fuge and then do a hydrocarbon run for edibles and afterwards winterize with etoh…

Have two cls running at once.

But fuck!!! You’re limited to c1d2, right?

It’s easier and cheaper to get a 5lb cls for hydrocarbons than it is a fuge… But again if you’re going all etoh and no hydrocarbons touching that process go with a fuge to roto.

1 Like

The issue with the Roto, is that it will not carry a peer-review as an individual component. They might accept a UL Listed Roto but wouldn’t be the first time an AHJ has shut down rotos or non peer-reviewed pieces of equipment.

The easiest way would be to use a small centrifuge as that handles your extraction and residual solvent removal post-extraction. Recovery could be done several ways, optimally a roto would be great for your scale of process currently. Pending the AHJ will work with you.

Obviously a RFE or FFE would be optimal but for your current scale, its really over-kill for the currently certified options. A jacketed reactor with an agitator and proper condenser would do great for 100-200 gallons of recovery per week depending on cannabinoid content of material.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

https://www.buchi.com/en/products/instruments/rotavapor-r-220-pro

Best bet for a lab that needs certified rotos is Buchi.

1 Like

I can get you setup with a Buchi that has implosion shielding and can even get you a signed peer review for its usage with its intended purpose.

New or used.

The Buchi can auto feed and refill the roto flask when it needs to be refilled as well.

2 Likes

What state are you in? Why not have someone design you a simple evaporation skid out of steel components and peer review it for much less than the price of a Buchi or Heidolph?

What is your budget and timeline? Feel free to reach me directly. Happy to give pointers without compensation. If you need more in depth design work, we can discuss that.

I’m sure lots of folks on here are capable of helping you the same way.

Btw, we run a Heidolph every day. While I love it, I sure wouldn’t spend a dime on one for applications like this.

2 Likes

Im located in MI. Fairly long timeline of 3-6 months out, and hoping to keep it under $100k all said and done as most of my capital is tied up on the hydrocarbon side of the lab. Thank you!