Slow pull speeds on SPD

Here is a video of my 500ml running from a while ago. I do run a little hot, but it looks fine grammed up.

The two liter can bang it out fairly fast too, but the problem is just cleaning and re-tooling between runs. I will take a video of my 2L and post that too soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnMoByDHF7W/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kuynwnxn0mb6

2 Likes

Did you ever resolve this problem? I’m having the same issue with slow distillations.

What size pump on your rig ?
CFM ?

2 Likes

I have a welch crv4 pro (2.8 cfm) which I run on either a 1L or 2L setup.

What type of rig
Full bore
Hot condensor or cow ?
Wat type of connection to the cold trap
Ns glaswear or plastic gls

2 Likes

Lab society glassware. Not full bore unfortunately. Working on getting set up for hot condeser, but for now 3 way cow. GL connections.

Here is original thread I posted on it which has some pics and more info:

People suggested that it was the mantle, but I’ve had the same problem using the nice LS 2L mantle with top mantle. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Ok
A do you place a larger amount of crude in the flask now
Like 1/2 full
B do you see a lot of reflux in the flask neck/ head ?
At that vac level your mantel should be around 230C
Do you insulate mantel and head ?

3 Likes

A. Unfortunately haven’t had enough to fill halfway. Last run, filled 1L flask 1/4 of the way full. Very slow distillation.

B. Yeah, lots of reflux

C. I typically collect main body around 200-205C mantle temp and 164-169C vapor temp. Is it just a case of my mantle being set too low? Only insulating with tin foil while I wait for fiberglass rope order to ship.

Yes in that case insulation of flask and head is very important
You should also raise your mantel temp a bit
Reflux is condensation before it should
Some reflux is good but like a drop a second

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! Typically my vac depths are 210-200 micron for main body on first pass and 90-100 for main body on second pass. At those depths, what vapor temperature range should I be collecting mains? Knowing about how high I can take the vapor temperature would help me be more comfortable increasing mantle temp.

2 Likes

At 200 mic your vapor will be around 210-230C
At 80 mic your vapor at 185-205C
For thc
For cbd it s about 5 higher
Mantel about 15C higher on cow
10C higher on hot Con

3 Likes

Huh really? This confuses me. I just distilled 228g of decarbed, ethanol (-80C) extracted crude and collected a mains fraction that totaled 140g at 210 micron, vapor temp. 166-169C, and mantle temp. between 200-209C. This distillation took like 14-16 hours start to finish. So something is clearly wrong.

Your temp ramping
Is diffrent not wrong let s say it that way
Any compound to vaporize needs a certain amount of heat
That amount is static always the same
If you ad heat but the compound doesn t make it treu in vapor form to the condensor but reefluxes. Back
The same amount of heat needs to be given again. Until it passes treu
So Yes you can distill at a low mantel temp
But by adding more heat the compound will more likely. Pass the head

6 Likes

Do you mean 210-230C mantle temp at 200 micron? For 210-230 vapor temp, wouldn’t the mantle be up past 250C? Is that not too hot?

The law of boiling
Since a certain amount of heat is nesseray to boil and a certain amount if heat is nessesary to vaporize
The temp of the mantel only Dictates the time in wich this heat is absorbed by the boiling compound
Or administered to the compound
No matter How much heat you trow at a compound not Until all has vaporized will the temp in the crude rise for that
Specific compound to boil off
So mantel temp is your trothel !!

6 Likes

Could I use this pump with chilling fluid and dry ice to chill a rotovape if needed, or a jacketed stainless part?

I wouldn’t use dry ice in the chilling fluid, but you could put a coil inline and use that.

If you are in an adequate ventilated area, why not use isopropyl instead. It’s much cheaper

1 Like

Honestly that is pretty much those shitty SPDs do. You have everything dialed as well as you can. I have 3 of these POS in different sizes and they all take 12 hours to move everything over. Doesn’t matter which pump I use. Best way to get better speeds is larger bore glass. Not just the vac lines, but the ID of all vapor paths.

Looks good anyway bruv.

1 Like

6hrs for a 900ml run for me. 100% china glass and mantle.

I can get it down faster, but I like to take my time.

3 Likes

That’s a joke correct ? 6 hr for 900ml? On a cheep China rig (not full bore) 2l system with a cheep harbor freight pump it only takes 1hr do distill 1000ml or so. So how are those times ok with you? Or is this a troll post ?