Slow pull speeds on SPD

Great advice, have this guy going! https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/4/44d90f2ee27c667715c144d3fcc4eccc4656a968.MOV

2 Likes

It’s working?! Kick ass! You will be so much more pleased with the results

1 Like

You’ll also have a lot less CBN and CDC on these runs

2 Likes

Bit of a mishap, my water pump stopped working in my 90 degree bath for the head. Had some vacuum problems as well, but I’m finally back going.

Willl have to find a water pump that can tolerate such conditions. For now, I’m at my usual drip. I believe my stiebar is operational as I can hear it clicking on the bottom of the boiling flask. Pull remains slow at 183 head, 204 mantle and 240 microns. Water bath at 56 until I can solve that issue

Eco 396

https://express.google.com/product/EcoPlus-Eco-396-Submersible-Pump-396-GPH-728310/0_7746747894634133078_0

Magnetic driven pump. I can make a chiller with their bigger (eco 633) one and cool something down beyond -50c

4 Likes

Those mantles are finicky. They don’t like to stir. Slowing it down and watching it speed up and getting it as fast as it can handle without skipping off track. Check to make sure you didn’t do that. If so, slow down and let it catch up, then slowly turn it up and monitor the stir to the sweet point

1 Like

Still at this painfully slow pace. Have the bar running but trying to figure out why I can’t achieve the thick spirals I see frequently.

1 Like

This is as sweet as it’s gotten :confused:

You think this guy will last 90 C ?

I don’t know about putting the beads in the flask, but you can pack the beads in the head. It should help remove more impurities. It is similar to packing copper or steel beads in your column for traditional alcohol distillation. I just talked with an extractor that has good success removing the red tint with them.

As for a 2L. Distilling that should only take an hour or so, as long as the oil was pre-decarbed.

1 Like

If You can SPD 2 liter flask with 1 liter oil in one hour You are hired :grinning:

12 Likes

Ok. Maybe it is longer, but it doesn’t seem very long. Especially if you are running 500g and it’s decarbed already.

To me it seems your vac is a little high, so at those temperatures I think you might not be putting enough energy in. After fixing your stir bar (removing the beads) re distill some first pass distillate to see how the stir bar works, you are going to want that on full. If it is still going slow at that point then you just need to creep up the mantle temps, the flow rate should improve a bit. Though the best remedy is a stronger vac

1 Like

Here is a video of my 500ml running from a while ago. I do run a little hot, but it looks fine grammed up.

The two liter can bang it out fairly fast too, but the problem is just cleaning and re-tooling between runs. I will take a video of my 2L and post that too soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnMoByDHF7W/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kuynwnxn0mb6

2 Likes

Did you ever resolve this problem? I’m having the same issue with slow distillations.

What size pump on your rig ?
CFM ?

2 Likes

I have a welch crv4 pro (2.8 cfm) which I run on either a 1L or 2L setup.

What type of rig
Full bore
Hot condensor or cow ?
Wat type of connection to the cold trap
Ns glaswear or plastic gls

2 Likes

Lab society glassware. Not full bore unfortunately. Working on getting set up for hot condeser, but for now 3 way cow. GL connections.

Here is original thread I posted on it which has some pics and more info:

People suggested that it was the mantle, but I’ve had the same problem using the nice LS 2L mantle with top mantle. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Ok
A do you place a larger amount of crude in the flask now
Like 1/2 full
B do you see a lot of reflux in the flask neck/ head ?
At that vac level your mantel should be around 230C
Do you insulate mantel and head ?

3 Likes