Sixth Wave Affinity - Cannabinoid Purification

Yes i believe so. Maybe hes talking about a product :man_shrugging:

Let me know if you hear back please! I haven’t been able to get in touch with them.

1 Like

you aren’t alone man, I am no chemist by any means lol. Probably butcher terms on here all the time. Let me know if you find anything, I haven’t been able to get in touch with them at all.

1 Like

For what it’s worth I regularly make isolate from my crude, it usually comes out very nice after a couple recrystallizations and I get very decent yields. My starting crude is generally around 80-85% cannabinoids, that’s been winterized and decarbed, attached photo is a current example I’m working on. It’s not 99% but it’s very nice coming from crude.

4 Likes

Nice man that’s awesome. Having crude at 85% definitely helps there. That’s some nice crude.
Any numbers that speak to your efficiency? As in how much CBD isolate are you getting back per kg of 85% crude?

Around 75%ish of total cbd sometimes less, it’s 85% total cannabinoids so actual cbd content can vary depending on the crude. We process with isobutane super cold and see an excellent quality crude in return.

2 Likes

How’s your finished Isolate come out??? What’s the potency and how does it look?

I’ll post a pic in just a few minutes, it’s got a yellowish tint to it, I’ve never sent it off for a CoA on its own so I’m really not certain of the potency, I use it for something else.

1 Like

Ahh, i see. That’s pretty smart man. No real need for 99%+ snow white if you’re just going to be infusing with it. And this way keeps your cost down significantly, I am sure.
In that case, the only thing I would get a COA on it for would be to check for THC levels. And pure curiosity as to what the CBD% is.

Yeah I did TLC but everything is non-detectable that isn’t cbd. I’m just assuming it’s in a quantity too low for the resolution of thin layer chromatography.

Niiice man. Sounds like you got your process down.

1 Like

Here’s a pic of that isolate btw

5 Likes

Heard back from these guys, so I thought I’d pass the info along, since I asked the same from you guys… @Rowan @HashyLarry @ScoobyDoobie @terpenescali @cyclopath

No units available yet. Hoping for a March-April release.
20 column unit, 20L/day output (unclear if that was diluted or after solvent evap.)
projected to be $175-$200k for the hardware.
Cost of beads was not made clear, but they are reusable.

They also collect royalties on your output, which was kinda new to me. I’ll attach the breakdown of the rates…

AffinityRoyaltyPlatform[1].pdf (286.2 KB)

I’ll continue to post whatever I learn from Sherman over at Sixth Wave.

5 Likes

Wow that is wild. So if you are producing 1000 kg of isolate per day and paying them that fee you’re literally paying them the whole cost of the system every single day. Or paying almost nine figures annually. That definitely makes the advantage over liquid chromatography seem a little marginal to me.

2 Likes

Yeah man the royalty thing kinda blew my mind… That’s like $285 per kg. I feel like there’s no way people are gonna be cool with that.

3 Likes

Yeah I was interested but I think with that arrangement it would have to be a hard no. You’d probably spend less money actually designing a system like this yourself and developing the polymer from scratch than you’d spend on the license fee using this for a year.

2 Likes

The MIPs are the basis of their whole system, i dont see why someone couldnt just design another system around the polymers.

What a joke. The royalties i mean.

1 Like

Yep, that’s true. Take those out and you just have 20 regular looking columns, yeah?
But you’d probably need a new source for the MIPs too… Which might be a pain… I doubt they’d sell ya just the beads without you ever buying one of their systems…

2 Likes

Right, if they were open to selling you the beads theyd probably still want royalties.

Im sure that it would be a pain in the ass to source those polymers, you would probably need to know a chemist who can make them rather than a company who manufactures and sells them.

1 Like